1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cutting back a Thuja hedge

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mags, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Mags

Mags Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have a 15 foot high and 60ft long Thuja hedge that has got out of control in the last 20 years. My hubby would like to rip it out completely, but I would prefer to cut it back to 4ft if possible as it provides us with privacy from the neighbours. The problem is that the outside branches are green and healthy, but the inner branches are brown, bare and look dead to me. Is it possible to chop the thuja hedge completely back and will it survive this drastic measure? I know it will look horrible the first couple of years, but as this is a quick growing hedge I'm hoping it might survive and grow back. Can anyone advise me on what to do? I'd really appreicate some advice here.
    Thanks in anticipation.

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,886
    Hi Mags I have asked a friend of mine who has a thuja hedge and his oppinion is that you can prune it as severly as you want ,thats within reason,he also said that,The scale-like needles of the thuja overlap like roof tiles, just like those of all other cypress plants. It is only during the winter months and in exposed places, that the dark green foliage turns a reddish brown colour which disappears with spring. This is entirely natural and should not be taken as a sign of disease or lack of nutrients. Hope this is of some help.:)

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,048
    I'd be a bit hesitant cutting it back into brown wood, I'm not sure it would regrow from that.

Its not something I have tried, so I cant speak from experience, I just have a feeling it might be a problem.

4. Mags

Mags Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - I'm still a bit hesitatant about cutting it totally back because of the totally dead and brittle twigs in the middle of the hedge. I'm just not sure if the hedge will recover from such harsh pruning.

5. Mags

Mags Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - I'm unsure too.

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,048
    I dont think Thuja will reshoot from brown wood, in the same way lawsons cypress or leylandii will not, and 15ft to 4ft is a big cut down.