1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cutting Beech hedge

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Cowen, Jul 15, 2022.

1. Cowen

Cowen Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good morning, I have a very high beech hedge that I need cutting, I normally get it trimmed in September, but this year I need about 3 foot cut off because it is too high! A man came around offering to cut it but said I should do it now (cut the 3 feet off) and not wait until I get it trimmed in September to give it a chance to grow new leaves, but I read that I should get the 3 feet cut off in February when it is dormant. Help please! I’m not sure what to do, either get it cut down 3 feet now, or just trim it in September and wait to cut it back in February! Any advice please, thanks

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,388
    Hello Cowen and welcome to GC :) I had a similar hedge in UK. It got trimmed in the summer, and every few years, severely pruned back and down in late summer. Your gardening man does have a point about letting it fill out over the stumps. You're supposed to cut most hedges up to 3' lower than the final height you want, so if he took it down by 4' and then the resulting new growth is trimmed in September by 1', you'll have a well-furnished hedge at the height you want.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    It won't grow new leaves if 3ft is taken off whatever time of year, if it's going back to thick stems/branches. They do recover of course, but can take a year or two to fully leaf up. I trim mine once a year in late July/early August and sometimes cut them back hard then if they are too high. I would avoid February as there is still time for hard frosts to get into newly cut wood.

4. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,509
    When I do beech hedge reduction I recommend it to be done in winter. It has a full season to fill out then, potential of any new growth if they is any to be had by the frost.

Beech Hedges don't tend to grow much after a July trim.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,093
      I agree with your gardener. If done now the wounds heal before winter frosts. Give it a feed in spring and new growth comes.
      Btw when hard pruning do the top then the side next year and the other side the next year. Keeps the hedge strong.

• Like Like x 1