1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cutting Hedge on December?

Discussion in 'What To Do This Month' started by hedgefog, Dec 14, 2018.

1. hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
    +69
    Would it be OK to cut hedge in this time? Temperature has been mild and with lots of rain so far, hedge has been still growing.

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,816
    Good morning @hedgefog my friend what hedge is it please:smile:

3. hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
    +69
    Good morning @wiseowl :)

It is privet hedge. We have Leylandi on the side too.

4. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Personally I wouldn't prune either now and I'd wait until about April as you might encourage new soft growth which would be damaged with cold weather. If you are desperate to prune at least 1 of the hedges I would prune the Privet and definitely leave the Leylandii which surprisingly perhaps is not quite as tough as old boots like Pivet. You don't indicate where you live which would have a bearing. If you are in a relatively mild area and it is sheltered from icy winds you will have a better chance with pruning now if you really feel the need.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
      +69
      Got a new hedge trimmer, and was trying out. It worked so nice, I was carried way, and ended up trimming Leylandi, which has grown so much this winter, and looked ugly. It looks now sharp and smart. But there are a few brown patches and holes now. With the new trimmer working so well and powerful, I was never been able to trim that much before.

I hope it will survive. It is about 20ft high and 8ft wide.

The Privet hedge has not grown that much since I cut it on this October, but I thought I might just try my new hedge trimmer on it :), but was wondering if it will be not easy for them wintering January and February coming.

We are in the central belt outside of Edinburgh, and it has been very mild for winter season, but today for the first time it gone down to -2 or -3. Frost is on the grass and also on the shed roof, and now lunch time it is about 1 degree above 0.

New Pressure Washer is due to arrive this afternoon as well, but not sure if outside tap will be thawed by then, for me to try that out :)

• Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
      Most trees are now dormant. Winter is an excellent time to prune hedges.

• Agree Agree x 1
        Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
      • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,089
        I wouldnt where I live. Frost and snow this weekend for example. A hard frost and prolonged freeze may damage a freshly pruned leylandi especially.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
          +69
          I read it somewhere too, but then no one seems doing any gardening during this time of the year in this area.

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
          +8,083
          "Most trees are now dormant. Winter is an excellent time to prune hedges". This really applies more to deciduous hedges which neither of yours are. I have Beech hedges which are deciduous and these can be pruned any time between now and next spring. I don't live far away from you and stuck my nose outside the door about 10 mins ago. The wind is baltic and is just the kind of weather to damage hedges with new growth.
          Just be honest you want to play with your new toy and that's the reason you want to prune your hedges now:snorky:.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
          • hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
            +69
            Yes, today is also cold, but not as cold as yesterday. I can see bird bath water is thawed a bit through the ice the now. Yesterday it was solid ice all day.

New hedge trimmer was good bargain hard to resist. When tried, it works so good. And then I look at the hedges, and they could do with good trimming I feel.

I was wondering if anyone also prune their hedges this time of the year, and if the hedges will like trimming or not :)

• Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +8,496
            I wouldn't worry about it, I cut hedges all the time in winter especially leylandii, the privet may go abit bare trimming at this time of year but it may lose its leaves anyway due to be semi evergreen. I would advise not to trim in extreme cold temperatures but its unlikely you want to be out there anyway .

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
              +17,487
              Hedgefog

I fully understand the temptation to use the new hedgetrimmer :)

I cut hedges and many shrubs at this time of year but it is milder here than most places. Remember, it is the new growth that could be activated that is problematic in cold areas....this is softer and more sensitive to the cold and could die back. For me it means a job done and one less to do in the spring.:)

On balance, privet is tough and pretty well indestructible......go for it:)
              Leylandii? Maybe delay for a couple of months :)

• Like Like x 1
              • hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
                +69
                I think I read the same from somewhere before, but wasn't certain and couldn't be sure. So asked about it.

For the weather today, yes, temperature is not as low as yesterday, but the wind is biting cold. I went out to garden, but soon pushed back into the house by the chill.

• hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
                +69
                Thank you Verdun for your info and advice.

Yes, I can see what you mean with privet hedges being tough. They grow through the holes in the wooden panel on the soil at the corner of the garden here trying to expand their grounds.

Leylandi has been already trimmed 2 days ago, and they are about 12ft high and 4ft wide. They were about 15ft high, but I cut about 2-3ft now better looking with sides all trimmed neatly. Just have to see how they will do. When I was cutting the Leylandi I had no idea about timing. Just came up as after thought after the trimming.

And they kept growing and growing so much through this winter, it looked so untidy and their leaves were taking up lot of space in the garden.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,371
                Holes are not a problem, brown patches can be - but it depends on how big and how deep. Leylandii doesn't regenerate from brown wood/leaves. If the patches aren't too big then other parts of the hedge may grow over them. :fingers crossed:

• Like Like x 1