1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cutting Hedge on December?

Discussion in 'What To Do This Month' started by hedgefog, Dec 14, 2018.

1. hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
    +69
    Yes, I agree.

The brown patches must have been there long before. When it was cut, they just showed up. Before they were hidden by the leaves.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,310
    Unfortunately that may not be any consolation. With Leylandii the leaves die back from the trunk outwards and the only green ones are at the ends of the branches. Once you have cut back the green as far as the brown they rarely grow any more leaves on that branch. The idea is to only cut back into the green but leaving some green there to regenerate. Hopefully the green alongside the patches will grow and cover the brown.

3. hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
    +69
    Yes, I cannot do much on the pre-exisiting brown patches, but as you say hopefully the green leaves will grow and cover them up.

4. hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
    +69
    Just found this from Google on when to cut privet hedge.

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 12.17.24.png

5. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,489
    Privets are trimmed twice a year here - late May / early June and again late August / Early September, I get sick of the site of them after going round them the first time. The thing is if your trimmed now you won't have any new growth to be damaged because privets dont really grow at all at this time of the year. Like Verdun said they are hardy plants you could cut them down to the ground and they will regrow, not something you could do with leylandii.

• Like Like x 1
    • shiney

Ratings:
      +118,310
      But you could still cut Leylandii down to the ground as that's where they should be in most gardens. :whistle: :snorky:

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Ha ha Shiney.....or cut leylandii leaving 6' or so bare trunks for supporting climbers.
        I have done this adding galvanised rods to make a tripod around the trunks and planted clematis montanna. No sign of the supports and looks amazing in spring :)

• Like Like x 3
        • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Some on GC are ever the optimists that their Leylandii will recover:rolleyespink:. I seem to remember 1 in particular who advised they'd show us doubters, who advised the tree was dead as a dodo, a photo of their tree once back to full glory post a far too heavy prune....still waiting to see that the tree has sprung back to life:).
          dead tree.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • shiney

Ratings:
            +118,310
            I grew a Montana on a 20' high dead flowering cherry using chicken wire.

P1230364.JPG

P1230365.JPG

• Like Like x 3
            • PaulB3

PaulB3 Gardener

Professional Gardener
              Ratings:
              +327
              Got to agree with shiney here ; best place for Leylandii trees are bonfires or feeding them through a bloody great chipper !:stirpot:

• Funny Funny x 2
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
                +69
                Professional gardener was cutting hedge on December too. :)
                It says conifer, but would it be Leylandii?

• shiney

Ratings:
                +118,310
                You will notice that he's not cutting back into where it is brown. Also, there was two to three years of uncut growth so he had quite a bit of leeway before he would reach the brown area and got nowhere near it.

• Agree Agree x 2
                • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                  Ratings:
                  +6,097
                  Interesting thread. No I am not a perfectionist. Books etc may say this and that. Theory and practice. I plump for practice. So. Do I Prune, do I cut-back, do I trim?
                  The tree, shrub etc is in the dormant stage etc. No offence intended but. Are we under misunderstandings of what gardening or whatever terminology actually means.

So the privet hedge. Due to whatever circumstances, it has become a bit scruffy. The tight massed foliage is now hosted by numoures extended branches. These will be on the thin side. So cut them off, never mind time and season. Trimming, out come the hedge trimmer. Here you are simply giving the hedge a trim. No harm if and whenever. Pruning. This is perhaps a bit more aggresive. Here you are intent on getting rid of unwanted growth. Here you are intent upon taking control. You are now the designer. You have a mental picture of what you expect your plant to become. Go for it. When pruning, always cut back to a forward pointing bud don't just chop off willey nilly.

• Like Like x 1
                  • hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
                    +69
                    Leylandii is my neighbor's hedge in their garden. It is so huge, that it grows over the fence into our garden.

When we first moved here, they used to come and cut it. But recently I just cut it if they take up too much space in our garden. It looks great sharp and neat after the cut. And we got our space back after the ugly hanging leaves are all cleared, and even wife was happy with the cut too. :)So its not too bad. Brown paches and holes are not visible from distance until go very close to it and look for them.

After the cut, the other day, the neighbors saw me and thanked for cutting it.

Privet hedge is our hedge and they are in front and back of our house. I went out and looked at it this morning. The sky is blue, sunny and dry, but ground and plants are wet due to rain during the night.

If it was dryer, I would have cut the privet hedge, but I think I will just play with newly arrived pressure washer today :)

• Like Like x 1
                      Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
                    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                      +17,487
                      Maybe a little naughty!!! Ok, more than a little naughty but several years ago I entered neighbour's wild garden and cut down a 20' leylandii. I had asked a few times, it was near enough to my boundary to pose a possible threat in a few years. When almost sawn through the tenant there challenged me and I just said "it's going to fall so get back". It crashed exactly where I wanted it to.....more risk than skill. :noidea: So glad I did......a couple of other leylandii further away grew to enormous proportions......qualified tree surgeons removed them eventually

Leylandii can make a decent hedge but, two things, they suffer from browning and they can cause immense problems if not pruned annually and kept to a max of a couple of metres.

Brown patches can be covered up by judicious tying in of green branches :)

Best not to plant them :)

• Like Like x 2
                      • Funny Funny x 1
                      • Creative Creative x 1