1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

daffodil bulbs

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by faithworks, May 19, 2005.

1. faithworks

faithworks Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    my neighbour has dug up and thrown away all the blind daffodil bulbs. Surely this is unnecessary?

2. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    HI I think it probably depended on if the bulbs were rotten or not if were ok they probably could have been replanted then fed right away to hopefully flower next year, I'm no expert though. [​IMG]

3. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Probably just needed a good winter top dressing of
    bonemeal and foliar feed later on.
    Never lay a finger on mine, only to dead head, always a good show and increasing in numbers yearly. ;)

4. Eileen 2

Eileen 2 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    When is it ok to cut of stalks and leaves of bulbs, as I could do with getting some bedding plants in now.
    I'm interested in the best way to store bulbs which have been taken out. :rolleyes:

5. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Deadhead daffs straight away, leave foliage on a min of 6 weeks (till it turns yellow) whilst feeding once a week, don't tie them up. foliage needed to photosynthesise to make enough food for bulbs to flower next year. I usually leave foliage on & plant annuals around - the foliage protects them initially then the annuals grow up & disguise the foliage.
    Can then leave bulbs in, lift & divide, or store in cool, dark shed (ok in redundant hanging baskets or net bags. Blind bulbs can be due to overcrowding, not being planted deeply enough, not leaving foliage on after flowering the previous year,juvenile bulbs. not neccessary to chuck away blind ones unless there are signs of disease. replanting deeper & further apart is fine.