1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dahlia - bugs or disease?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Jenny Cambridge, Jun 2, 2022.

1. Jenny Cambridge

Jenny Cambridge Apprentice Gardener

Freelance Publishing
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all! One of my new dahlia - started from tuber in greenhouse - has serious issues. See pic. I cannot find anything that looks like it online. If it's bugs, I'll try to save it. If it's virus or fungus, I'll send it to the tip... No other plants in greenhouse have this problem. It has been isolated and outside greenhouse for a couple of weeks now. Not dead but certainly unhappy. I sprayed with dilute fairy liquid about a week ago which was when all the little brown circles showed up. Prior to that just leaves at bottom looked damaged. Anybody know what's wrong with it please?

Attached Files:

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,206
    Hi,

If it was in the greenhouse a very common pest is Red Spider Mite, which a suitable spray should eliminate, plus putting it outside would also help.
    You need a strong magnifier to see them, unless they are a big infectation then you can see a web like a small normal spider.

Sounds more like your soapy water has been applied during strong sun and its cause the leaves to burn like that ?

Any damaged leaves are unliked to recover but if it puts out new green shoots then it may be worth saving and planting out, or take those new shoots as cuttings and start some new plants.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,839
      I'm with Ricky, it looks like the soapy water stuck and ended up scorching the leaf. Should be fine :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,193
        Fairy liquid is pretty harsh for plants, best to use a mild pure soap instead. It could be a nutrient deficiency in the first place. I would carry on isolating and try a seaweed feed as a tonic.

• Like Like x 1
        • Jenny Cambridge

Freelance Publishing
          Ratings:
          +11
          Thank you and other commenters! My soapy mix may well have been too strong, as I was fighting a horrible infestation of black fly on my broad beans and made a vat in a hurry without measuring it. Many broad bean leaves also went brown, but plants are not infested any more and have new top growth. I wonder if the soap penetrates damaged areas of plant actually. Or soap on damaged areas kills that bit of leaf. Certainly the brown is where the aphids were and not other places on the BB. Not sure if it was sunny or not - dahlia has been at side of shed, but it does catch sun in morning I think. Was def sunny when sprayed BB.... I was in a hurry :(
          I have hope again now anyway. :) I recently bought some NEEM oil and an emulsifier to make a spray. Never used before, but might try it. Anybody use it?

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,193
          Not used it myself, here is a recent relevant thread:
          What's Your Thoughts on Neem Oil

• Like Like x 1
          • Jenny Cambridge

Freelance Publishing
            Ratings:
            +11
            Thank you, this was useful. Seems like it might work on mites or most other things for that matter!

• Like Like x 1
            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,206
              We usually have a small bed of Dahlias which at some point get BlackFly which we used to use a spray, but last year we just left them and let nature do its work.
              We lost a few shoots to them but the ladybirds and other creature actually clean them off, and within a coupe of weeks it all looked good again.

As a non toxic treatment you could try a weekly spray of SB Invigorator,