1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dead-heading

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,617
    Apologies if this is a stupid question (although you should be used to them from me by now :snork:), but is dead-heading beneficial for promoting more blooms on all plants?

I know that petunias and fuchsias for example will keep on going if you dead head them, but what about the likes of nasturtiums, geraniums/pelargoniums, marigolds, lavatera/mallows, dahlias etc?

Also, when dead-heading, is it always best practice to nip the stem out behind the spent bloom, or is it more a case of removing the petals?

And finally, with the likes of the nasturtiums which start forming the seed almost the moment the flower bends over and starts to fade, should these forming seeds be left, or would they stall more flower production?

• Like Like x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      Nasturtiums don't care if you dead head or not. They just keep going and going until the frost comes. If you want them to be more colourful though, cut some of the upper leaves away. Most of the flowers form underneath this canopy of leaves, so cutting the top leaves away reveals them in all their glory.

Also, when dead-heading in general, I always take it from the stem just below the flower head. Simply removing the petals (which have served their purpose and are being jettisoned by the plant anyway) wont stop the hormone activity going on in the flower head that tells the plant to divert all available energy to seed production.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
        Ratings:
        +3,267
        I find the deadheading of the likes of my senetti's, petunias, dahlias, geums, gazanias, begonias, geraniums etc..... not only does it look tidier but it does produce more flowers by putting all their energy into more blooms rather than spent flower heads.

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
        Ratings:
        +31,183
        I find it very relaxing strangely enough and it will prolong the flowering season on most annuals. It helps to encourage them with a bit of plant food as a reward,
        Jenny

• Doug Harding

Doug Harding South coast mr nice guy

Garden centre manager/horticulturalist...
        Ratings:
        +121
        The whole purpose of a flower is to produce seeds... By deadheading it stops the energy being sent to produce the seeds and the energy is transferred to developing flowers

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        You need to remove the forming seed head. In some cases it is worth a light "prune" to a suitable bud to encourage further development, or just to make the plant look tidy - for example on plants that carry multiple flowers (some types of Roses, Peonies, and so on) I initially remove the main flower head (I usually just snap it off behind the flower, leaving a bit of stalk) to leave the ancillary buds to open and flower, but then when they are done I use secateurs to remove the whole flower structure and stem and, if appropriate, prune back to a suitable bud. On Aquilegias I remove the whole of the flowering spike back to the lower leaves - just so it looks tidy.

But the main thing is to remove the forming seed head so plant diverts energy to more flowers, or to "Bulk up" for next year (e.g. for bulbs such as Daffodils or Lilies).

Some plants are too much of a nightmare to bother deadheading though - depends on time and patience, to an extent! I have some Fuschia plants that have billions of flowers on them, and deadheading them is a labour of love. However, once they start to form "berries" I do take those off.

• Informative Informative x 3
        • Like Like x 1
        • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
          Ratings:
          +31,183
          A basket or container of pansies/violas is always worth "that labour of love" IMO,
          Jenny

• Agree Agree x 1