1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Delphiniums

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Laura, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Laura

Laura Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks

Can anyone please help me with my Delphinium problems?! I know it's a bit early, but during the post Christmas lull I thought it would be nice to try and grow some of these gorgeous blooms for summer. I am quite new to gardening, and it's only now i realize that I have chosen something a bit tricker than cress! I read that they prefer dark so put seeds in propagator and then put them in dark for a week, nothing. Then read they like to be cold, so moved to fridge for a week, nothing! In desperation have moved them onto abright window ledge, but after 3 weeks not a sausage. Help!

2. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Laura,

Delphinium's should not be that difficult to grow from seed. How old is the seed you are using?

Nathan.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,896
    When they say a seed needs darkness to germinate what they actually mean is that the seed should be covered not surface sowed. When they say cold they mean stratification which means a cold or even frosty period. This could be a couple of months or more left in the garden at this time of the year with the pot covered to keep off excesive rain. One week in a propagator is not long enough especally followed by aweek in the fridge. Probably with patience and normal tempretures say 10-15 degrees C you will have some sucsess hopefully. Good luck.
    pete2255

4. Laura

Ratings:
    +0
    The delphinium seeds are brand new, 'Pacific Giants' kind, it's very confusing about the darkness issue. Thompson & Morgan seed sowing guide book says delphiniums must have dark, but on their actual seed packet it says 'do not exclude light'.

Also when sowing seeds, is it generally better to cover the seed tray with a plastic cover or bag or just leave it uncovered? Have been covering, but seems to be a major condensation problem!

Many thanks for your help on this.

5. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,896
    Thompson & Morgan CAN be a bit confusing at times. Where are the seeds now? They could probably do with a bit of stablity. Steady tempreture Dont worry too much about the light issue Patience always helps How long have they been sown now? Do T & M say how long germination should take? Did you cover the seed lightly with compost?

6. Laura

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pete, the seeds have been sown a month now.
    Started off in a heated propagator, but then the T&M seed book said that high temps can cause dormancy, so I was even more confused!
    They are now resting in the lobby (unheated but very sunny). Actually thought I saw one of them minutely sprouting this morning, but it could have just been wishful thinking!

7. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,896
    Lets hope it was one sprouting. Any way I would not think a month is an excessive amount of time. especially considering they have been moved around quite a bit. Dont let them get frosted just incase they are on the move.