1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Difference between Anvil Loper vs. ByPass Loper?

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by hedgefog, Oct 24, 2018.

1. hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
    +69
    Hi All

I have a very old Stanley Anvil Loper, which is about 20 years old. It is getting rusty, but also it was not able to cut wood stems more than 3cm.

So I am trying to replace it with a new loper, which can cut thicker stems with ease. I see some models of Loper for sale, and there are those 2 types. How are they different?

We have this Hawthorn bush which grows very fast, and has many thick woody branches, which need pruned.

Thanks.

2. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Anvil lopers are very good for dead/dry wood while bypass are better for green/live wood. Bypass make a cleaner cut as anvil tend to squash the material. I use both. Anvil for pruning out dead/diseased wood and bypass for more delicate pruning. I find anvil stronger and they cope with thick branches better.
    We use a lot of branches of trees for kindling/burning in our wood burners so use lopers a great deal. Like most things in life you get what you pay for! I have found over the years telescopic lopers are NOT good. Much weaker than non telescopic and I will never buy them again.If you only need lopers occasionally you could do worse than look at the budget models sold by Aldi and Lidl (have used these for less tough tasks) or if you will use them a great deal look at Fiskar. Expensive but very good. I use their L190 anvil for all the dead wood we process and are really stron, light to use with excellent blade.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
      Ratings:
      +2,618
      I agree with investing in Fiskars loppers. Ours are in constant use and have proved to be an excellent tool. The blades are replaceable too which is an added bonus.

• Like Like x 1
      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        Screwfix have loppers for occasional use at £12 , or Fiskars at £30 . I have the £12 ones which work fine. They sell both anvil and by pass models.

• Like Like x 1
        • Quentin Jackson

Quentin Jackson Gardener

Ratings:
          +22
          I agree I purchased some darlac telescopic loppers thought they were a great idea. In reality I never use them extended as they don't cut as well.

Consider if it should have a ratchet mechanism. It does make it easier to cut, although my ratchet mechanism is currently broken so no longer cuts the 5cm branches and struggles with 3cm

I was quite impressed with the darlac loppers I have used extensively for 4 years. I will probably get a bypass set for more better pruning now doing less clearing

• Like Like x 1
          • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +17,487
            I bought telescopic loppers from lidl 3 years ago. Robust and durable. They carry a 3 year warranty. Says a lot doesn't it?:noidea:
            I break the unbreakable! Secateurs last me a year then snap. Spades, forks, trowels all succumb to my heavy handedness!
            I used a bow saw and the loppers to cut down large sycamores over the weekend; the loppers have been well used regularly to cut stems over 5cm and still intact.:)
            An invaluable tool

• Like Like x 1
              Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
            • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
              Ratings:
              +2,369
              I bought a set of Wolf bypass loppers. The handles are telescopic and have been used in anger on our mixed native hedge for the last two years without an issue. The blade could do with replacing now but I'll try and get away with sharpening it

• Like Like x 1
              • hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
                +69
                Great info & advice, Thank you all.

Now I know what Anvil Loppers and Bypass Loppers are for. Sorry about my wrong spelling too. I have never paid attention to these things, and just used to do gardening as chore when needed. So didn't know what these tools were for.

I think I bought the huge old Stanley Loppers about 20 year ago from eBay very cheap. It has been doing ok job cutting branches and stuff. But recently, the blade has got really rusty and dull too. What the real pain of using it was, when I try to cut something thicker like 5cm woody stem.

Then it would cut about half, and then get stuck in there. It would not cut anymore, but wouldn't come out either - totally stuck. It gave me real hassle trying to release the lopper from the stem in the middle of pruning. Not nice at all.

So, I thought it is time to invest on the new Loppers, and was searching on the internet, and suddenly found Anvil Loppers and ByPass Loppers.

My old one is Anvil Loppers by the shape of the blades, but hadn't got clue what it was for. And ByPass Loppers were never had by me, but now I know.

I will do some surfing, and decide which one to go for based on the info and advice you gave me here. Will update when I got one, and report how it worked. :)

Much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
              • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                +8,083
                I continued the mistake:snorky:. Spelling was never 1 of my strong points:rolleyespink:. Give me numbers any day. Hope you get some loPPers that suit your needs

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                Ratings:
                +6,097
                I have an a few different kinds. Probably the best is a by-pass lopper. It is in total about 18-20 inches long. Good solid steel. No blade, simply the cutting end is shaped and easy to maintane. Telescopic handled type, very handy but care is needed to cut straight through, slightes tilt and the blade tends to buckle. Likewise with the long-arm pruner. The blade tends to be too soft, probably chinese steel. Also I find fault with the extendable pole, this pill and twist idea, in no time at all, the ability to remain locked once twisted soon fails. I end up drilling a hole through and securing with a split pin. I remember the long-arm as being simply a length of timber about an inch by three quarters and the simplest of sharpened cutter plus a length of heavey guage wire and a handle.

When browsing some country markets, I am always take to admiring old tools, Dad's, Granddads tools etc. Many years of service and still going strong.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,494
                I have a few pairs of loppers, both anvil and bypass. @silu explained them very well. I do sharpen the blades every few years but have also recently bought some that were on offer from Aldi. They're very sharp, don't tend to buckle and I'm happy with them

• Like Like x 2
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
                  +69
                  I got a Wolf-Garten RR900T,

Wolf-Garten 50 mm Power Cut Bypass Lopper: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

because I also have had a HS1000T (normal shears for cutting grass and thin branches) from Wolf-Garten for about 7-8 years, and it works very well.

WOLF-Garten Telescoping Hedge Shears - HS1000T: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

They are a bit heavy especially when extended handle, but seems made with strong material, and cut very well. Only problem was that it was more expensive than others, but I liked it, and thought it would be good value if it lasts longer and works well.

My wife went Lidle and bought a ByPass Loppers by Florabest for a tenner, and it is also a good performer and well made Loppper, it looks.

So, suddenly I have 3-4 Lopppers in my shed. It will be fun testing out which one works best.

• Like Like x 1
                    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
                  • hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
                    +69
                    I looked into the Fiskars, because it has been highly recommended make, but there were more negative reviews than positive ones compared to the Wolf one, and Fiskars were not cheap priced, so went for something I have had in the past and I know how it is like (although not the same item, but similar).

• Like Like x 1
                    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                      +28,997
                      I got those Fiskars geared bypass loppers for a bargain price. For something so lightweight I was amazed how they go through the biggest green branches that will fit between the blades like a hot knife through butter. Wish I'd bought 2 at that price as they are Mrs Scrungee's first choice (and mine).

P.S. If you are near a Homebase in the process of closing down, checked this afternoon and all loppers including Fiskars were now 30% off. Tempted to get a larger size if they reduce them further. N.B. you can't check stock/prices in closing stores.

• Informative Informative x 1
                      • Cinnamon

Cinnamon Super Gardener

NHS
                        Ratings:
                        +893
                        LOL, I'm trawling our local Homebase too each week looking for successive markdowns on the gardening stuff!

• Like Like x 1