1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Digging compost into borders..

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by merleworld, Apr 5, 2012.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Could do with some advice please :blue thumb:

I'm going to be revamping a couple of borders and before I plant anything out, I would like to improve the slightly acidic clay soil (to improve drainage).

I plan to dig in some organic matter in the form of used and new compost.

The plants in these borders will be ericaceous (Camellias and Rhododendrons).

I was going to dig over the borders to a spade's depth with some used and new GP compost, then around each planting hole mix in some ericaceous compost with a bit of bone meal and some slow release ericaceous plant food.

Is this okay or do I need to dig in ericaceous compost all the way along?

I've read elsewhere that ericaceous compost will lose its acidity to the soil in any case so figure that by the time the roots have outgrown the planting hole, if I dug in ericaceous compost all the way along, then it would have lost its acidity in any case (not sure how long it takes?). I will keep the plants fed with ericaceous plant food, in addition to which the soil is already slightly acidic (surrounding gardens filled with mature Camellias and Rhodos).

Could do with a quick response if at all possible as I'm off to B&Q shortly for supplies (looks like today is the only decent day we're going to get weather wise over the easter period so I'd like to get started).

Thanks in advance :cool:

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,816
    Well some GP composts actually have lime added so I would avoid that. Use ericaceous, leaf mould, manure but not mushroom compost.

If your soil isn't naturally acidic then it WILL all balance out to its natural level anyway so expect that to happen and use ericaceous fertiliser where possible with rainwater.

By the sounds of it you will be fine with your plan

• Like Like x 1
    • merleworld

Ratings:
      +4,087
      Thanks Loofah, much appreciated :blue thumb:

I will avoid using GP compost then, and will instead use a mixture of manure and ericaceous compost all the way along (I will mix in some spent GP compost I've got though as it will be a fairly small proportion of the overall mix and it needs to be used somehow).

As I said, the soil is naturally suited to Rhodos and Camellias but they will get a regular feed as well during the growing season.

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
      Ratings:
      +31,191
      Ooooooh Merleworld, that buzz word Camellias. Iv'e had an affair with these since the '70's and have 7 in the front postage stamp front garden and 2 in pots which struggle even though I "worry" about them. I saw on the telly the other day that spent bracken is good for them - are you anywhere natural heathland where you could gather up a few bagfulls -or is it a banned no.no? I wish you good advice and counselling over the preparation of this new border. There are plenty of generous gardeners here who are happy to pass on good info.[​IMG]
      Jenny namaste

• Like Like x 1
      • merleworld

Ratings:
        +4,087
        Hi Jenny

Unfortunately I'm not near any heathland.

I've always loved the look of Camellias but my one and only attempt at growing one was not very successful, but it was before I really got into gardening so I didn't give it enough attention.

Now I'm a more enthusiastic gardener, I've ended up with lots of them to plant in borders and containers this year.

It's good to find another enthusiast - I don't know why but it's the acid loving ones which I seem drawn to (I have a selection of Rhododendrons in borders/planters too).

• Jenny namaste

Ratings:
        +31,191
        I will name some of mine if you will name some of yours....
        Jenny namaste

• merleworld

Ratings:
        +4,087
        Okay here goes ...

Camellia japonica Debutante
        Camellia x williamsii Debbie
        Camellia japonica Nina Avery
        Camellia japonica Desire
        Camellia japonica Madame de Strekaloff
        Camellia japonica Eric Baker
        Camellia japonica Extravaganza
        Camellia x williamsii Jury's Yellow

I've also got some unnamed ones from B&Q and Aldi.

Now show me yours please :snork:

• Jenny namaste

Ratings:
        +31,191
        We have one in common Merleworld -viz. Jurys yellow. Other that I have had affairs with and left in previous gardens are:
        Lady Clare, Black lace, Grand Slam, Dr Burnside, E G Waterhouse, Nobelissima, Donation and Jury's Yellow.(Cannot recall any more but have probably forgotten some)
        Now have:
        St Ewe, Bob's Tinsie, Jury's yellow, Donation, China Clay? - possibly.( In the garden when we moved in). Magnoliaeflora,Cornish Snow and Cornish Spring.
        If only there was room and I could get it,I would love Ave Maria - only saw it once but cannot get it out of my mind. This is our time of year, us Camellia lovers and I love driving about looking at them in peoples' gardens.
        Thank you for letting me remember them all -lots of lovely memories,
        Jenny namaste :wub2:

Attached Files:

• merleworld

Ratings:
        +4,087
        The pic is rather lovely :blue thumb:

Coincidentally Ave Maria is one which is on the list I have of future Camellias, as is Magnoliaeflora :)