1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

digging up & replanting shrubs

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by penguin, May 9, 2007.

1. penguin

penguin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm being given some shrubs, I don't know what they are but they are not wanted by the owner and I'm in desperate need of some shrubs, and they told me I could have them :D any tips on how to remove and replant? I know some plants don't like being moved :confused:
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    If they're not wanted, you'll be giving them a chance by taking them. So long as you dig the hole they're going into before you expose the roots, and make sure you take plenty of soil around the rootball, put the rootball straight into a binbag and transfer quickly, and give a good long soak once planted, things should be ok.

I'd keep on giving them a bit of TLC for a little while after that, particularly if the weather is particularly dry and windy, just to get them established. That should work [​IMG]

3. digital flower

digital flower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I like watering for a few days before digging if it has been dry. Removing some of the top growth usually helps it stabilize from the loss of roots. Some species of plants transplant very easy, others not. Good Luck.

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I have never moved shrubs myself, but I have heard a suggestion that for larger and more difficult ones you should dig a trench round the shrub first. This will cut through the roots which will stress the shrub (but not as much stress as digging it up all in one go). And as digital flower said it is worth taking off some topgrowth. Then leave it for a couple of weeks or so, to allow it to recover from the stress and to grow some more fine roots inside the circular trench. Then completely dig it up as dendrobium suggested and put it into the pre prepared hole. This method does it in two slightly less stressful stages, and it also encourages some new growth of roots before the move.

5. penguin

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I moved them today, I don't know the names of them but will try and take some pics later as I would like to know what they are. 2 of thm seem to have moved really well, the third is looking a bit wilted but its early days. I dug a hole and put lots of water in then planted the shrub and rewatered, I will water them again this evening (unless it pours down!)
    Thanks

6. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Look forward to seeing them! :D

And I should have mentined cutting them back a bit, like Digital Flower said - SORRY! [​IMG] I always do that..... how could I have forgotten?? Hope they'll do ok. :D

7. penguin

Ratings:
    +0
    Will put some pics on tomorrow [​IMG] 1 of them is like a green/grey colour leaf which is white/silver underneath, I have seen it before but I don't know the name, 1 of the others is mid/dark green leaf with a white edging (leaves are quite small). Just been out and given them a good watering :D