1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dividing Hostas

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mervyn Wilmington, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Mervyn Wilmington

Mervyn Wilmington Experienced Gardener

Ratings:
    +37
    We have over 200 hostas in our garden. Some are now getting into large clumps and 'interfering' with each other. We had to move one or two smaller varieties a month or two ago because they were being overwhelmed by larger more vigorous ones. I put the smaller ones into large pots to give them maximum attention (watering) before replanting later.

I intend to reduce some large clumps by division in the autumn and pot up until planting elsewhere next spring. Advice on the internet suggests lifting the clump and then divide. However, a few years ago, I divided some by simply using a very much sharpened, narrow spade and, in situ, taking sufficient off in terms of body and roots to form new plants. It worked very well, with no failures. Of course dividing this way does not really disturb the main clump, and there is no significant recovery period.

Curiously, I can find no reference to dividing in this way. Am I the only one to do so?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      No Mervyn, I too have done this esp when someone wants a small piece of a hosta here. Used to sell plants too and this was a good way to produce more hostas

Since you grow so many hostas.....I have, perhaps, 20 varieties here.....you know them to be tough plants. I find they respond very well to rough treatment and can never remember losing any plants because of cutting, division etc.:)

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Mervyn Wilmington

Ratings:
        +37
        Thanks Verdun - that is helpful! I'm glad I'm not unique in this operation. Since I could find no reference to this process elsewhere, I was a little perplexed!

I may well pot up a good number, and offer them for sale locally next spring. That is if I can stop my wife giving them away...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Verdun

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Go for it Mervyn, make some cash. Hostas are very in demand right now and divisions grow fast :)

• Mervyn Wilmington

Ratings:
          +37
          100 @ £5 sounds good! I've plenty of pots and a couple of large bins full of compost.

• Like Like x 1
          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,203
            Hi,

Well I only have one type of Hosta :) though I divide it in spring with a sharp spade or big knife when the new shoots are just pushing through.

Mervyn you say you intend to divide in the Autumn when they are dying back; generally with most perennials its safer to divide in the spring as autumn division could lead to rotting of the cut etc. or are Hostas one of the type that can readily withstand autumn division ?

Suppose a lot will depend on how you pot them up and where they are overwintered, a warm part of the uk ?

• Verdun

Ratings:
            +17,487
            Think you are possibly right Ricky .....here, in mild part of the UK, hostas can be divided at any time of year. However, hostas are such tough plants and dividing in early autumn should be fine most everywhere. Cant see them rotting unless overly watered etc at that time :)
            Although mild here, winters can be pretty wet yet hostas have never rotted on me :)

• Mervyn Wilmington

Ratings:
            +37
            Cold and wet is not the main enemy of hostas: heat and dry is. Generally, they flourish as far north as Russia.

Here, in North Yorkshire, we can get some very low temperatures, and our bottom garden can be sodden for weeks on end in winter. It is at the lowest point of the garden with a stream just over the wall. I do lose things in that area, but not hostas.

While there is certainly merit in spring division, I've never had a problem in autumn. However, I rarely divide 'straight into the ground'. I tend to pot up plants and keep them nearer to the house - for purposes of supervision including water. Indeed, at present, I still have about 40 hostas that I grew on last year - bulk buys and divisions - still in pots. They get a regular drenching and they are happy enough.

I may try a variation on sharp spade in the ground division. I have a battery powered reciprocating saw. It may seem rather vicious, but I have used 'manual' pruning saws for such purposes, and reciprocating saws are readily controlled and can cut 'fast'. I'm afraid with age and health problems, especially breathing, I find that I have to resort to novel means of making progress. I will try it this autumn!

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,465
            We divide the ones in the ground by just using a spade. Those in pots are done with a knife. We do it any time of year that's convenient. We then pot them up and they are sold at our Open Day the next season. :blue thumb:

Some of ours - in no particular order. You'll see that some of them have leaves stained by the hard water (they get a little bit of a clean before Open Day :noidea:).

Some flowers
            P1390806.JPG

P1390808.JPG

P1390796.JPG

P1390812.JPG

P1390811.JPG

P1390815.JPG

P1390816.JPG

P1390810.JPG

P1390814.JPG

P1390813.JPG

P1390807.JPG

• Like Like x 5
            • Mervyn Wilmington

Ratings:
              +37

Many thanks for the notes and the pics. I recognise many of the varieties! I am one of those naughty people who never label anything! Of course, years ago I simply remembered what they were, but with age and an acre of garden it is not now so easy. But it doesn't really matter...

I do have the New Encyclopedia of Hostas. I suppose I might wander round making notes!

• Like Like x 1
              • Verdun

Ratings:
                +17,487
                I think my favourite hosta is Liberty. Large beautiful foliage. If kept out of the sun, Fire and Ice is superb too.
                Highly addictive plants.....hmmm! I find myself "addicted" to many, many sorts of plants now though:noidea:.
                Hostas look esp good with grasses I think:)

• Like Like x 2
                • shiney

Ratings:
                  +118,465
                  I don't remember any of them and we don't have labels as the birds always pull them out! Mrs Shiney tends to remember plant names so I don't even try to remember.

• Like Like x 2
                  • Mervyn Wilmington

Ratings:
                    +37
                    Ah, but is she right? My wife tells me all sorts of things, but...

• Funny Funny x 2
                    • shiney

Ratings:
                      +118,465
                      You've got the wrong wife! :whistle: :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

If it's to do with plants then I take it as gospel. :love30: :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
                      • Funny Funny x 1
                      • Mervyn Wilmington

Ratings:
                        +37

Although now retired, I am a lawyer. I'd like to get you in the witness box!