1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY Propagator

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Chillimad, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Chillimad

Chillimad The Chilli Grower

Ratings:
    +122
    Having managed to acquire a couple of fully working 50cm x 30cm Sankey variable heated propagators from our local car boot early this year for £5 the pair, a true bargain. This setting me thinking about making my own large version.
    So I started trawling freecycle for a couple of items. When I managed to get my hands on a 2.4mtr x 70cm exterior florists sign (my wife did think I'd lost it at this point), half a dozen decking boards, and a massive pieces of visqueen sheeting the plan was formed. I managed to get a full piece of clear twin wall that would form the top, by asking a local conservatory builder if he had any off cuts, to which he said not, but for a supply of chillies he'd let me have a sheet.
    I knew I'd have to buy somethings to make it, so eBay provided a winning auctions for a 20mtr soil heater cable (£16.11), and a thermostatic controller (£8.88). A trip to B&Q for some sharp sand (£6) to bury the cable in, also provide me with a off cut of marine grade ply (£1.20) that would cut to form the two angled ends.
    So for a cost of £41.19 I am now the proud owner of a 2.5mtr long heated soil propagator, with fully variable heat control. 2012-03-25 18.32.35.jpg 2012-03-29 19.04-sml.jpg 2012-04-25 13.19.25.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,193
    • Chillimad

Ratings:
      +122
      Cheers John, always knew that my skip rat skills would be useful at some point!
      It worked great this year, and now with the full extra space of the big tunnel it will be brilliant. I can get 1000+ seedlings plugs up and running in no time. Crazy times ahead. Thinking of adding a small extractor unit connected to the thermostat (although would need to swap it for a heating and cooling version) to keep the temperature stable. I can bring up to any temperature I need, however mother nature then kicks in with a little sun (it's house in an outbuilding with loads of sun light), and the temperature can go a little wild seen 50c+ which would be a problem with a full load. I also have the micro irrigation kit to put a couple of micro misters in, probably on a timer. Try it manually this year which worked well.

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
      Ratings:
      +31,192
      GC has another genius in the making methinks,
      I do love to see these wonderful Heath Robinson prototypes.
      Amazing Chillimad,

• Like Like x 1
      • Chillimad

Ratings:
        +122
        :ideaIPB: Too much time on my hand some may say!
        Wait until I get my phone activated remote watering system working! That will be a giggle!

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
        Ratings:
        +31,192
        And could you get it to regulate heat input - in your abscence? Should it turn sunny or cloud up?

• Like Like x 1
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Excellent job there Chillimad :dbgrtmb: Love the skip rat quote :biggrin:
          Keep us informed of your progress next year when you crank it up. I presume Chillies will be major item in there ;)

• Like Like x 1
          • Chillimad

Ratings:
            +122
            Yeah chillies will be the earliest starters in it, but it's got pottential for getting so much off to a flying start
            Fingers crossed