1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY Propogator

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Belto, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Belto

Belto Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    21:23

Having cost making a Propagator compared with a large commercial one

I decided to make my own heated with a sandy base to warm the plant containers and to secure the cable, with polythene sides and top

The top is folded back for access and all seem to work ok with a thermostat included to control the temperature in the range of 20 -25 C.

It is situated in my South facing lean-to greenhouse.

I shield the young plant's seedlings to small plants from the sun (when it comes out).

My question is shall I leave the cover on at all times or remove it so the seedlings etc so they can take advantage of the suns rays

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,384
      Very professional, Belto! The seedlings will need ventilation to prevent botrytis and legginess, so perhaps you could arrange it so you open up half of the space (with fully germinated seeds) and leave the other half covered for heat retention for the ungerminated seeds?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,496
        That's a very neat version. :dbgrtmb:

I built something similar in 1976 (2m x 1m) and it's still going strong. I keep it covered when it's cold in the greenhouse but open it if the green house has warmed up in the sun - like yesterday. It needs some ventilation :blue thumb: but I've never found things get leggy if you have clear plastic. I've only just replaced the plastic yesterday as the old plastic was getting cloudy.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,204
          Hi,

Yes, you will need to not only open the top each day, but also add shading as necessary as if its as you say in full sun in the greenhouse the tender young plants could overheat or even burn.

One thing you could do, is use a sheet of clear or twinwall polycabonate as the lid with a simple hinge at the top and attach a string to it and the auto roof vent, so it opens and closes the frame for you, been doing that for years.

• Useful Useful x 1
          • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
            Ratings:
            +30,616