Do you know your soil type?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JWK, Oct 31, 2011.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,834
    Well, I'm on the Cheshire plain which is where the Sea used to be hundreds of thousands of years ago so I have 300 feet of sand, or more, beneath me. It's around a ph of 6.7 so it's a neutral soil. Over the years I've put down well over 200 tons of top soil and then each season have dressed the borders and what was the veg plot with commercial and home made compost. It was a hungry soil but now that it's got plenty of humus in it it is less so. When ever there's constant rain or a heavy downpour I can step out afterwards to find it has drained away. I obviously can't grow acid soil loving plants in my garden but I've enough choice of the plants I like.:D

• Like Like x 4
    • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      "Picking my brain"? It won't take long! :D

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      Oh yes *dim*, I don't think that using terms like "ecstatic" are helpful, might lead one to believe that you are being sarcastic. I can ONLY give MY opinion, that's what forums are all about. I only try to be helpful, no more, no less.

• Like Like x 2
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +45,618
        True, they haven't provided for the visually impaired, there should be another way of viewing the data maybe.

• JWK

Ratings:
        +45,618
        Just follow the instructions on the box **dim**. Some fertilizers can make your soil more acidic temporarily, so that would render the pH test useless. :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2
        • JWK

Ratings:
          +45,618
          Interesting point Clare, I understand nearly all soil can be improved one way or another, even heavy clay with lots of compost, sand and liming. So I'd firstly look for a south facing garden, then make sure it was level then make sure it was at least an acre before thinking about the soil type - of course by then I wouldn't be able to afford it :o

• Like Like x 1
          • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,593
            I'm not being sarcastic, I'm being honest ....

however, like I said, I have been doing some research on fertilizer application and from what I have read (so far) is that the general consensus is that it is always better to do a soil test prior to determining what fertilizer should be used and how much should be used for the specific plant that you intend fertilizing ... if not, you are merely guessing

so, based on what I have read and from what I understand, I tend to differ to your opinion

however, I always read your posts with great interest, and will be following up your comments/suggestions

and like my father always used to say:

Listen to what everyone says, then based on their knowledge and your gutfeel, decide for yourself

I previously bookmarked 3 sites when reading about soil testing .... you may find some of this interesting:

Soil Testing

Soil Test Interpretations and Fertilizer Management for Lawns, Turf, Gardens, and Landscape Plants

http://mn4h.com/distribution/horticulture/components/1731-8-fertilizers.pdf

and like I said, I still have a lot to learn, and will always listen carefully to what everyone suggests

:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +117,282
              For most gardeners we only need to know what the basic, underlying, composition of our soil is so I agree with Freddy.

To try and cater for each individual plant in a garden is impractical (although a nice idea) for most householders either on a cost or time basis. It would be extremely difficult to do in my garden (although I could, of course, have an acid bed etc) and I imaging it would be impossible in what I have seen of ARMANDII's garden as his plants are so close together.

So testing before fertilising is the way to go for me :dbgrtmb:. Actually, it isn't, because I can't be bothered :heehee:. I just dig in loads of compost (and horse manure when I feel up to getting it) and the plants have to make the most of it. :D

• Like Like x 3
              • lakeside

lakeside Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +14
                Tells me that I have wet, sandy and loamy soil, whereas my soil is heavy clay. Cranfield should look into the legibility of its site. Virtually unreadable.

• Like Like x 1
                • Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
                  +446
                  Well they've got my area absolutely bang on! Approx 10 major changes in soil and a marshland which looks perfect in shape.

• Like Like x 1
                  • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +28,240
                    Naurally wet, very acidic, sandy and low fertility, I think the thousands of Rhodos around this area tell me that already!
                    Being between the River Frome and River Piddle I guess it would be naturally wet. Anything is better than solid clay!!!

Think I'm gonna need some soil improver.

Thanks John.:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
                    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +52,310
                      Mine says.......naturally wet, very acid sandy and loamy soil. Don't know where the loamy is but it isn't in my garden. Of course it's naturally wet, it never stops raining! :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
                      • Garden_Monkey

Garden_Monkey Gardener

Ratings:
                        +4
                        Great find there JWK. I can't believe I've just spent so long looking what my own soil's like!:)

• Like Like x 1
                        • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +3,089
                          Remember that people have been gardening successfully for millenia without the benefit of soil-testing kits!

A lot of stuff gets written in gardening books which is unnecessary for the domestic gardener to do, in my opinion, if not downright inaccurate.

(I get quite a kick out of flouting the rules, like pruning when a frost is due or not putting drainage crocks at the bottom of pots. Does anything dreadful happen? No.)

I agree that testing the soil would be the ideal, but that does not make it essential. It would certainly improve the profits made by garden centres if we were all encouraged to think it was essential, though.

• Like Like x 2
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
                            +1,593
                            point taken, and can say that in my street I very much doubt if anyone uses any fertilizer on their gardens in the year (some only mow their lawns when it is 3 foot high), yet their shrubs and plants flower every year

however, I do gardening for a business, and have only been doing this for a short time ...

so, as a typical example:

Next year, I want to offer a decent lawn maintenance service (similar to Greenthumb), where I do the aerating, scarifying,fertilizing and also offer the mowing service and general garden maintenance (which Greenthumb does not do)

I've been reading posts on an international lawn forum where this is big business in the USA .... most, if not all the guys always do a soil test before deciding what fertilizer to use, and how much to use ....

so, the way I see it, it can only be beneficial by testing the soil etc before deciding what to use .... takes the guesswork out of the equation

even farmers test their soil before deciding how much and what fertilizer to apply

suppose one could equate it to to being ill with a constant headache .... you could take an annadin daily for several years and the headache will be surpressed ....

or you could go to the doctor, he takes a blood test and the laboratory determines that you are allergic to wheat .... problem solved for always (if that makes sense?)
                            :WINK1:

• Like Like x 1