1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone here grow Aubrieta 'Red Carpet'?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Nikolaos, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,289
    Hi All,

Wondered if anyone here grows this cultivar as I am curious about the flower colour. Is the photo in the link below a true representation, something very close to burgundy? I already have 'Red Cascade' and 'Blue Cascade' and want something that is distinct enough from the other two in terms of colour, especially 'Red Cascade'.

Aubrieta 'Red Carpet' | aubrieta 'Red Carpet'/RHS Gardening

Red Cascade for reference...

Aubrieta 'Red Cascade' (Cascade Series) | aubrieta 'Red Cascade'/RHS Gardening

Thanks,

Nick

2. CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,345
    Hi Nick I don't grow it, but that colour looks a bit suspicious! RHS used to describe flower colour using their colour index (a plant version of Pantone). Not sure if they still use it. Pictures on google images seem to vary quite a lot for this variety, but they all seem a BIT plummier than normal aubretia.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,289
      Thanks @CarolineL, I totally forgot about that RHS colour index, glad you reminded me. :) I was hoping to grow three in small glazed terracotta pots to maximise the cascading effect since they don't grow particularly wide. Yep, I noticed the same thing when doing a search, so much variation which would make getting that one pointless if it's too similar! I agree that it looks atypical and suspicious for an aubrieta.

Nick