1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dog proof shrubs!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by accidentalgardener, Jan 9, 2009.

1. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Help!!!!

The latest addition to my fastgrowing brood has taken a real sine to my garden now as some of you will know my garden was my pride and joy but alas 'tis no more :(

All i have left is the black bamboo, the Calistemon, salix, cordyline and various climbers. The little so and so is not at all particular about any plants and shrubs he wants to dig up and/or just shred thelist so far includes:

Chilean glory vine
    Hebe
    Lilac bush
    Penstemon
    Mexican sunflowers
    Various tulips (sat on)
    Miniature roses (4)
    Tree ferns (3)
    Various other ferns
    Jasmine
    Patio roses

I feel the need to stop there as the list is endless, any idea's friends? :)

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Well, you sort of asked for it really-and judging by the handsome chap I can`t say as I blame you.

Gorgeous

3. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    :hehe: Lollypop he is one of eight now and aside from Arnie his partner in crime the others have behaved but there is always one :rolleyes: :)

4. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    He is gorgeous, I keep watching The Dog Whisperer and thinking of finding myself a German Shepherd-but every time I start to weaken I think of my peonies.

5. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Claire all i can say about the GSD's is for the love of your Peonies don't do it :D The two Gsd's i had loved to dig pigs ears into the soil leave them a few days and then dig them up when they had gone blue! Yeuck! Mind you they did leave the rest of the garden alone :hehe:

Cesar Millan is great but beleiv me it aint as easy as it looks :hehe:

6. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    To prevent the dogs digging plants out (my dad has the same problem with his dogs), how about getting some of that thick wire mesh, the kind they use to enclose tennis courts and the likes, and lay it on the surface of your planting area and plant through the holes. Then cover it with gravel or wood chip to hide it. Obviously rain water can get through, but when pooch tries to dig the plants up, he/she can't dig through the mesh. For obvious canine safety reasons though, make sure the holes in the mesh are not big enough for the dogs to get their heads stuck in.

7. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Cleuless hi there :)

Tis a good idea but unfortunately when Rotties decide to dig they really go for it :hehe: but i think i will definitely look into this. I've never had the problem this badly until the gorgeous little sod joined my group (well tbh Arnie has shown a few tendencies himself and only needed encouragement to tip overthe edge :hehe: )

Over winter they content themselves with leaves blowing and the odd fat pigeon on the fences. They have no excuse really as they are out running over field and forest everyday (in couples) for a good two hours although little one can only have around 45 mins-1hr off lead bcause of his age.

Maybe i should be thinking pots? I can grow them on on the roof of the dog run (poetic justice) and then transfer them to my famously shady front garden when in bloom?

Any idea's on that either f you or anyone else who would like to pop in an idea? I love bright colours, Peonies are gorgeous and Lilies :D

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Tell me about it with the GSDs-had a rescue one once, beautiful animal, gentle giant and scared of pretty much anything and everything-not the garden though. She trashed everything-it was her mission in life to kill every blade of grass and she was remarkably successful, so no I don`t think I am in any danger of weakening too much to be honest.

As for your idea about transplanting to the front-which direction does the (little bit of) sun come in. If you can get a south east facing bed the peonies will be fine actually in the soil, they are quite tolerant of anything really except wind ( it won`t kill them, but the sight of the magnificent blooms snapped and bent over will kill you) and morning sun ( I hope my orientation is ok) .

PS the amount of pictures of your little mite is weakening my resolve.

9. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well i am going to be adding quite few to pets corer tonight so brac yourslef Claire :D

I love to hear of people taking on rescues, very close to m heart that :D

10. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    At least chickens can be confined to one area of the garden!

11. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Aaron tis true but the part of the garden they are in is the dog ru and they are value ones from tesco ha ha :D i have started to post some pics in pets corner but there are so many of them its going to take a while :D

12. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Admittedly, he is very cute :)

13. digger1

digger1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you hire him out? I need a drainage trench digging - do you think we could train him to dig in a straight line :lol: May as well find a use for his . . . erm . . .tallent !?!

14. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    If you want to stop him digging, Paula, take the spade off him.:gnthb::rotfl: How can you look into those eyes and say " no "?k-l

15. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Why not discouradge him from digging? a water pistol or similar along with the words no will work and after a few squirts hell have learned.

ps, I love Rotties but I wouldnt allow one to rule me or destroy the garden.