1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Droopy Leycesteria formosa

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Dave from Newcastle, May 6, 2006.

1. Dave from Newcastle

Dave from Newcastle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I first planted this shrub last summer as a small plant only to discover that this is likely to grow quite large. This has led to the need to relocate this plant to a different part of the garden.

From this picture you can see that it's not too happy about the move! Does anyone have any suggestions i.e. leave it alone, cut it back, feed it with something? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

[​IMG]

This picture shows the plant 4 days after moving.

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    I'd suggest watering it and cutting back a bit. looks like the roots can't supply the leaves after they were disturbed. I'd lay off feeding until it shows signs of recovery. If the weather is hot and sunny you could also try shading the plant.
    The plant is a very fast growing and vigorous one and after planting one many years ago and subsequently chucking it out we still get seedlings popping up all over the place.

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I agree with Dave. If you have just moved it - it did not like the move. As Dave says, in a healthy plant roots and foliage are in balance. If you reduce the roots (as you must do when you move something) you must often reduce the foliage to keep them in balance.