1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Drowning weeds

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Tara Jane, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Tara Jane

Tara Jane Gardener

upholsterer
    Ratings:
    +140
    Good morning
    I’ve heard that drowning weeds such as nettles, bind weed and that sticky stuff will make it safe to compost. Is that correct and if so, could you tell me how long I must drown them?
    Thank you in advance!

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,622
    I assume that you are wanting to prevent future seeding from the compost? I must admit, I haven't heard of drowning them, but I am no expert - perhaps @Kristen, @Steve R, @JWK or others may be able to comment. I generally just whack everything through the garden shredder and bang it into compost.

3. Tara Jane

Tara Jane Gardener

upholsterer
    Ratings:
    +140
    Ha! Thank you. We have one of those!

• Like Like x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,340
      I do that with lesser celandine and Allium triquetrum. Into a bag into a water butt, make sure bag is full of water; might need to weigh it down. Make sure water container is away from house and neighbours as it will pong. I leave it three months; at which point the contents should be a sludge, then onto compost.
      Shredding doesn't work with lesser celandine or Allium triquetrum as they can spread from small tubers and bulbils respectively.

• Like Like x 1
      • Tara Jane

Tara Jane Gardener

upholsterer
        Ratings:
        +140
      • tdubya

tdubya Gardener

Ratings:
        +3
        I like the sound of this idea… at the moment I’m literally trying to separate the soil from the celandine tubers so as not to lose too much soil. I guess I can just top the whole lot into the water for a couple of months?