1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dying Conifers

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by EarthWormJim, Mar 11, 2006.

1. EarthWormJim

EarthWormJim Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Just wondered if anyone can help?

I don't know the name/type of conifer but it's a nice tightly growing mid to light green. growing as a hedge, as they've been regularly trimmed it almost looks mossy/furry when healthy.
    But since last summer they have started to die off in parts. Brown and dry then going black.

I'm in the north east and we have had quite a dry long summer and a mild winter so far. No dogs. :confused:

Pests? Disease ? Conditions ?

I also have some similar conifers that are as yet unaffected. there are two together and one is dying and one looks fine...

Anyway what to do.. they are quite badly browned, in a 'random' kind of way.
    so can they be saved? sprayed, feed, or chop down and start again.
    how hard can they be pruned??

any help or advise is welcome.

Cheers Jim

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Looking back at what you said, mossy/furry sounds abit more like juniper - if you crush the needles / scale, is there a strong scent?

3. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    mulch now and spray with water in summer

4. EarthWormJim

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Thankyou for your reply's.
    I will try and get a photo on later today.
    I would love to save them...here's hoping..!

Cheers
    Jim

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Here are earthworm jim's pics -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Don't look too healthy, that's for sure! But very neatly trimmed!! :D So, what does everyone think? I think it's a lost cause, myself. :(

7. Dave_In_His_Garden

Dave_In_His_Garden Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Wow - they really are dried up aren't they? :(

Some of the big conifers at the back of us were timmed down a few years ago, and left a lot of very dead looking material - one side was healthy, the other looked done for - but the dead looking side picked up a long time later! Now they look like nothing ever happened to them so there may be hope!

PS - it's a shame I'm pulling them out this summer then! Anyone want some conifers?! ;)

8. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    the only conifers I know of that'll pick up from virtually zilch are yews - and these pics aren't yews!! Prob a thuja or cypress, imo.

9. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    They look a bit far gone to me, possibly some kind of disease, I dont think its drought myself.
    You could leave them and dont trim this year, see if it grows out, but they could start to look untidy.
    Personally, and I know some might not agree, but I dont like to see these large growing conifers clipped to such a low height, its very un-natural and the hedge tends to be unhealthy or a best short lived. :(

10. EarthWormJim

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone.
    But I think they will have to go..! :(
    thanks for the trimming compliments [​IMG] but it's not my doing, recently moved in..

So whats the best replacement hedge then ??
    get your votes in. [​IMG]

Cheers..

11. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
  12. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Unless I'm mistaken, that yellow conifer is Thuja - and looks to far gone to do anything with. I don't think its a disease - there is the odd desperate little new shoot. I think that it is drought as the main reason (difficult to see from its position with no bed - where it gets any water)and close clipping forcing constant new growth. Your predecessor has a lot to answer for.

I would take the whole lot up - run a picket fence down the boundary and plant against it. Have you considered Lavender and roses - or if you must have evergreen - consider the ubiquitous privet or mahonia.

13. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    I'd suggested cherry laurel, Fran, when Jim e-mailed me - and I agree - first thought thuja, because of the flatness.

14. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Just a thought, is it possible your hedge has been sprayed with growth retardant by the previous owner? We did have a few really warm days last summer but non of the conifers seem to have suffered round here and I'm not that far away so I doubt if drought caused the damage.

Anyway, since it's coming out, let's rejoice in its passing! If you like spring bees and autumn berries, cotoneasters will make a good dense hedge and the birds will love you for it. Also, Laurel is evergreen and slow growing.

15. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    you could be right, Frogesque, I saw nasty results in privet where a neighbour had used it - now banned of course (like armillatox for such purposes!!!!) I reckened cherry laurel would be better than laurel as it grows faster and more densely +++ is cheaper!