1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

early flowering dwarf narcissi suggestions

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lollipop, Mar 3, 2009.

1. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Just been out to make sure all is ready for any frosts that may be coming my way over the next few days and spotted a coupl of snowdrops and very small dwarf narcissi on the lawn.

I want to take natures idea and run with it so I could do with any names of early flowering dwarf narcissi, or likewise early flowering dwarf spring bulbs that flower so early that it will completely beat the first cut of the lawn-which I will then, in turn leave until the latest possible moment to allow them to go over completely. I don`t remember planting these bulbs so have no idea which sort they are.

I know it will be a juggling act insofar as letting the leaves store up as much energy as possible before the first mow, and understand I may suffer some losses but these could be got over by putting in another handful or so in october to be on the safe side, and I really don`t care too much about the lawn and could quite happily leave it until mid April or longer before I first mow it, when, if it has struggled, I could toss some seed at it and wish it well.

The smaller the better because I will be doing the same thing with snowdrops anyway and I wouldn`t want those overshadowed by a larger daff.

Maybe narcissi isn`t suited, perhaps another would do better, but nothing too exotic though, I would want it to look very English in spring.

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Tete-a-tete is one of those dwarf daffs I think.

Sounds like a good idea, especially the bit about ignoring the lawn!

3. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    How about some Cyclamen Coum - small pink flowers that go very well with snowdrops. Mine have been flowering since early January. Not sure when the leaves die down though.

4. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    nice suggestions,

I was also thinking Kenellis and Midget, the only thing which concerns me is that they will definitely be over and done with before the latest I can reasonably mow.

The cyclamen are extremely pretty, one of my neighbours has them, but the colour isn`t what I am looking for-it`s a bit too dull up north at this time, the pinks get sort of pushed back a little.

5. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I know what you mean Claire, I am from Bolton Myself, left in 1978. My parents lived up Astley Bridge way, sadly both now no longer with us, so no excuses to dash up the M6 to visit any more.

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    You`re a long way from home Blackthorn, I would miss the hills between Horwich and Belmont and Westhoughton too much myself. Went to school in Astley Bridge and you know what games teachers are like for cross country aaarrgghh!! From Crompton Way down to Old Kiln Lane then turn right all the way up to Belmont village then back down to Crompton Way. They were hard in them days. Still saw plenty of beautiful sites-especially over the tops to the village ( all uphill-it was pure torture). There`s a few of us here who started life up here.