1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Early Spring?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Hornbeam, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Is this a sign of an early Spring? Hazel catkins in the first week of September when the nuts are still on the trees. January and February would be more usual.

[​IMG]

2. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I think this year has been strange alltogether..first of all we had that late spring so growth was slow..Then we had that dreadfull heatwave and everything flowered fast and went over really quick..And 10 days ago i had that poppy appear when it should have flowered in june..The berrys have come quicker this year and loads of them..!..And the leaves are falling quicker..we shall have to wait and see what the winter brings..I also heard that the conkers were ready earlyier than normal..its just been one of those years..lets hope next year is more normal..I think i prefer the seasons normal..without extreme weather conditions..

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    Doesn't look good for next years crop then does it Hornbeam.

4. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My first polyanthus is in flower with two blooms and more buds opening!!

5. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Mine are also flowering, much to the slugs' delight!
    Having seen your picture of catkins, I looked on the local ones when I picked the sloes, and you're right! One or two late ripening or otherwise rejected nuts and catkins forming....

6. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Our outdoor primulas have been in flower for a while, they must like the warm weather. Unfortunately the slugs love them and they are looking very scraggy.

7. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    some of mine are already in flower, also some of my clematis is putting out a flower or two.very odd

8. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    All this makes me wonder what our gardens will be like next year i think the plants are confused about what season it is.. :D

9. Royster

Royster Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Seems too that there is a "second" flush to the Buddleias. Couple of weeks ago many of them here in the Midlands were apparently bloomed-out but due to early September warm weather they are almost as colourful as they were a month ago.

Roy

10. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    [​IMG] My raspberries, which fruited earlier in the year and aren't normally Autumn fruiting, have lots of new flowers and fruit [​IMG]

11. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,949
    Lucky you, Liz. I actually thought raspberries were a winter berry? :confused:

12. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    The early ones usually fruit in June, and later varieties from then onwards but in Portugal perhaps they fruit in Winter?

13. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,949
    It's difficult to grow them here in the South, too hot even in our cold season, if you know what I mean! No, I remember raspberries (usually Scottish ones) being available in the shops autumn/winter time ... maybe that was just the Scottish ones ???

14. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    There are quite a few Autumn fruiting varieties. I want to have some for spring, summer and autumn, then perhaps I could resist the imported ones available in winter.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    LIZ..my raspberrys have fruited again..and their is still signs of more to come unless jack frost or the blackbird gets their first..yesterday i noticed a small borage flowering again i thought they were finished for this year..

[​IMG]