Echium Pininana

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by LinG, Oct 14, 2020.

1. LinG

LinG Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My first post so I hope I'm posting this in the right forum! I had a wonderful Echium Pininana flower last year which was a bought plant rather than one I grew myself. I harvested the seed which I sowed in pots outside in June this year (the first batch indoors didn't germinate for some reason) and I now have some fairly healthy plants growing in 9" 5 litre pots.

My quandary now that they have grown fairly strong is how to keep them over winter. I only have a small plastic covered mini greenhouse but I understand plastic can make them develop mould or rot and it would be pretty crowded in there :smile:. I could wrap them individually in fleece, taking it off on good days or my other thought was to take a chance and put them in the ground in their final flowering position now - but is it too late to move them from pot to border? Or to larger pots?

(I'm based on the south-east coast so climate is relatively mild)

I'd be interested to hear how others on the forum have managed them in their first year as it's all new to me! :smile:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

joinery
    Ratings:
    +36,610
    As you are on the coast I assume frosts are usually fairly light.
    Echiums of this type are hardy to around minus 5c in my experience but it's often the wet and frost combination that kills them, or atleast rots the tops out of them.

A cool airy place is best for overwintering, but that is often not possible, I'd suggest just overhead cover from the rain would be best.

I'd definitely plant out next spring to hopefully flower the following year.

But as usual, a lot hinges on what kind of winter we get.

3. LinG

LinG Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Pete...Ahh if only we could predict the weather!:SUNsmile:

So if I create a cloche type of arrangement with clear plastic on canes over the pots but open at the sides that might do the trick?

I've heard that some giant echiums have been known to flower in their second year - have you experienced that?

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

joinery
    Ratings:
    +36,610
    Well, yes, I tend to knock up a temporary poly cover for a few plants in pots that dont like winter wet.
    I dont think I've ever had one flower in its second year, to be honest the longer they go before flowering the taller and better they they are when they do.

They self seed all over the place in my garden and allotment so no shortage of seedlings to pot up and grow on or leave in place to flower.:smile:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • LinG

LinG Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Yes I had lots of seedlings appear - I have a mainly gravel garden and pulled most out but I have left a few in place just to see what happens.

Well the temporary cover sounds like the answer then and fingers crossed we don't have another beast from the east descend on us down here. Thanks Pete for your advice.

• Friendly Friendly x 1