1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Elaeagnus x ebbingei - brown spots on leaves

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by merleworld, Mar 3, 2012.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Me again. Apologies for more questions :rolleyespink:

One of my Elaeagnus x ebbingei has brown spots on the leaves. I have four in a row in planters and the others are fine.

The brown spots are only on the top of the leaves, not underneath.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell me what it is and how to treat please? :help:

Many thanks :dbgrtmb:

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    Hi

Sorry to say but not the end of the world you have:

A fungal growth , spread by the wet weather as the rain splahes the leaves it spreads over the plant.

What you need to do:

Pick off all the leaves that are effeceted and collect all the old leaves under the shrub as well and burn them

If realy bad I would use a fungicide spray that you use on roses , but it a problem this shrub family suffers from .

3. merleworld

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Thanks Spruce, I thought it might be some sort of fungus.

I've moved it away from the others, removed the affected leaves and given it a haircut in the process, and sprayed fungicide on it. I've also removed a few leaves from the others which, on closer inspection, also had it. Not many leaves affected on the others, but I've given them a good spray as well as a preventative measure.

Fingers crossed!

• Like Like x 1
    • merleworld

Ratings:
      +4,087
      When I discovered one plant that had it, I isolated it from the others, gave it a good haircut, removed all the affected leaves and sprayed it a with a fungicide several times.

However, the problem spread to my other Elaeagnus shrubs (there are four Elaeagnus x ebbingei which have it now, plus one pungens maculata). It isn't affecting any of the other plants which are close by.

The leaves, once affected (even by a tiny dot), go limp, but are still green. I've sprayed all the plants several times with fungicide (I've tried Bayer fungus control and Rose Clear) and I pick off any affected leaves as soon as I spot them (I inspect them every day and every day there are several more leaves affected).

Anyone got any fresh ideas how I can tackle this? :what:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]