1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Epsom salts

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by merleworld, Feb 25, 2012.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I've read conflicting reports about whether Epsom Salts are good for plants - Rhododendrons in particular is what I was thinking of using them on.

Anyone used it and if so did it work?

Thank you :)

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,193
    Well I use Epsom Salts on tomatoes in the early part of the growing season, if they look yellow around May/June time it's a sign of Magnesium deficiency and a very dilute spray of Epsom Salts perks them up within a couple of days. I've heard it's good for other plants too but I've no experience with Rhododendrons.

• Like Like x 2
    • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
      Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
      Ratings:
      +10,624
      Martha Stewart raves about using it. When you dig a hole for a new plant, put some in the hole then put the plant in and continue filling hold with soil. Heard it give the roots a good start. And don't forget to pee in the hole also.

• Like Like x 2
      • SiXpence

SiXpence Gardener

Ratings:
        +47
        JWK,

What do you use as dilution?

• Anthorn

Anthorn Gardener

Ratings:
        +9
        No experience of trying it on Rododendrons. But Magnesium deficiency is most prevalent in light, acid soil and that's exactly the soil Rododendrons are or should be planted in. If leaves are yellowing a little Epsom Salts does the trick. Around 1 teaspoon in 1 ltr water per 3 square feet of top growth I think

• Like Like x 1
        • merleworld

Ratings:
          +4,087
          As I'm planting them at the front the neighbours may call the Police if they see me squatting over the hole :loll:

Is pee good for them then (assume I'd have to dilute it but at what concentration?)?

• Like Like x 1
          • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            "Rhododendrons in particular is what I was thinking of using them on."

Have you got an acid soil anyway? If so I would have thought you would have no problem with Rhodies. If not all bets are off and they won't grow, they will just become sickly and die, but if you are trying that route you need to be using Sequestered Iron ("Murphys" make it), as simply putting Aluminium Sulphate on won't do because the alkalinity will prevent the plant's pathways from being able to take metals up - and thus I doubt that Epsom Salts would fare any better.

• merleworld

Ratings:
            +4,087
            I have clay soil. I've got lots of Rhodos which are all doing pretty well because I prepared the borders with lots of ericaceous compost when I planted them out and they get ericaceous fertilizer as well.

Prior to planting out I dug over the border with plenty of organic matter to improve the soil (drainage isn't really an issue as I've sloped the border).

The other Rhodos are in ericaceous compost in planters - one of them has slight yellowing of the leaves which is why I thought I'd try the Epsom Salts.

They must like our soil because there are some cracking mature specimens in my neighbours gardens which I am very jealous of - one in particular a few doors down which is about 6 ft high and which he says he never does anything to apart from the odd trim.

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
            Ratings:
            +10,624
            Merleworld. there is another thread here, not that old, about urine in the garden.
            Also about your neigbors, just do it at dark.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            Clay soil won't be a problem, and if there are Rhodies in the neighbourhood then you are 99% certain to have acid soil :thumb:

Yellowing of the leaves on plants in containers is most likely because of some mineral shortage. Epsom Salts will do no harm (might not be what they are looking for though ... but there again it might do the trick, it certainly helps plenty of plants that are "chlorotic" or whatever "yellowing of the leaves" is called!)

Might be worth also looking at Sequestered Iron as that is the usual "tonic" for acid-loving plants.

• merleworld

Ratings:
            +4,087
            I guess the only way of knowing definitively is to do a pH test so will pick one up next time I'm at the garden centre.

Thanks for the advice :)

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,193
            Dissolve ½ oz in a pint of water (20g/litre) and apply as a foliar spray each day for a week - it's not an exact science. Epsom Salts is available in Garden Centres but can be bought cheaper at an old fashioned chemist, they call it Magnesium Sulphate, a small packet has lasted me years. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
            • merleworld

Ratings:
              +4,087
              I bought a couple of kilos on eBay for just over £6 including postage.

Figured I'd use it for bathing as well cos it apparently has beneficial properties.

• Like Like x 1
              • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                Ratings:
                +10,624
                I just take about 1/8 cup of Epsom Salt and throw it in the hole and move on. No diluting or fussing here. And all seems happy.

• Like Like x 1