1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Euphorbia

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fran, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    A friend in the States sent me some seeds from the plants in her garden - amongst her little packets was one name euphorbia. This is not of one of my most favourite plants - but I'm always willing to try something new. Didn't do much all summer after potting up, just a single stem with pairs of opposite blue green leaves and I was not impressed, but let em be (negletfully doing nothing more than water them - but then suddenly a week ago - I got a burst of colour.

I have no idea what variety they are but they just earned garden space. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

Mmm I seem to have a problem with my new pc - following a fatal error.Sorry if some of you saw thise twice - but I was getting little red crosses. Editing this on my laptop.

[ 11. September 2005, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Fran ]

2. LesH

LesH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fran, I've grown three varietes of
    euphorbia for a few years. the frost will kill them. The milky sap is dangerous and will burn like acid. I can not name your plant, but you could check this site:- www.desert-tropicals.com
    Do not water during the winter. LesH

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks LesH - I have grown the ordinary purple leaved euphorbia, so am aware of the sap - but that was hardy.

Thanks for the tip that this might not be. I will protect it over winter just in case.

[​IMG]

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
  5. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fran - looks like a poinsettia ( a member of the Euphorbia family)= Euphorbia pulcherrima or it could be Euphorbia tithymaloides. Not reliably hardy, though there are plenty that are. It's pretty though!

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Pete - that looks like the one, same kinda sprawly growth as well - how can they say the flowers are insignificant - whilst the bracts are lovely the flowers nestling in the centre are nice too.

Bayleaf - thanks I will check these out too - I am intrigued by what has appeared from what I had written off. Glad you too saw the similarity - I had no idea a pointsettia was a member of this family.