Excess Daffodil Bulbs

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by merleworld, Apr 8, 2014.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I bought a load of daffs last year and planted some out, but have a load which I didn't.

Don't want to bin them if I can still use them. Can I plant them out now in the hope that they will flower next year? If not will they still be usable later on in the year when you're supposed to plant them out?

• Like Like x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Had a similar problem myself my first year here. What I did, was wait until the next planting time came around. Most did ok, but I did dig in some fresh compost for the holes (don't know if that helped or not, but my logic was, they had missed out on a year of "feed").

Do you have the luxury (of bulbs and time) to try both methods as an experiment: some now, some next Autumn?

• Like Like x 1
      • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Personally I would plant the bulbs asap and not wait until next Autumn. I certainly have had Daffodil bulbs which I left out of the ground for about a year and when I found them (whoops!) a few were viable but most had shrivelled and or rotted. I can't say I'm right with any certainty but if you have the time I'd get digging now.

• Agree Agree x 3
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          I'd plant them ASAP but in pots to enable the success rate to be established, then remove the viable bulbs in Autumn/normal time and plant in open ground, as this will eliminate the posibility (probability?) of ending up with clumps of 1 daffodil.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,247
            I have had the same quandary with left over / forgotten bulbs . Now every bin load of spring bulbs are not going to be sold . Do the retailers return them and are they refrigerated until next season , or is cheaper to scrap them ? Can you store bulbs by refrigeration ?

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
            Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
            Ratings:
            +10,774
            I would plant them in the ground ASAP, sooner in the ground getting the nutrition and water they will be happer.

• Agree Agree x 1