1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Failed Beech Hedge Plants

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by alana, Sep 11, 2021.

1. alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
    Ratings:
    +2,618
    I bought and planted 100 beech hedging plants last November. At least 12 of them have died. I contacted the online retailer (a recommended source) and I sent pictures of the dying plants. They told me they would replace them for half the price I paid plus postage. The postage is going to cost more than the plants. I'm disappointed that the onus is on me to pay more money because I followed all the planting and feeding instructions. I didn't dispute it with the customer services because I wasn't sure of my rights.
    Do you think this is fair?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,887
      Difficult to say.
      I think the problem is that you have to expect some losses when planting things.
      I was reading some reviews for a nursery near me only yesterday and I can't think of many other things you can buy where the end result is totally out of control of the supplier.

Not saying you didn't plant yours properly, you must have done for so many to survive and grow on, but these places are getting this all the time.
      Is there any small print you can find regarding sales?
      Perhaps you could haggle a bit over the postage.

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,117
        Were they bareroot, they might have dried out too much before establishing a new root system. I have planted a long beech hedge using bareroot plants but got them fresh from a local nursery, they dug them up to order. Maybe with mail order they have been hanging around in transit too long, plus you don't know how long they have been dug up. I have seen bareroot plants at garden centres bunched together with bands and although cheap I expect many would fail.

Sorry not much help for you.

• Like Like x 1
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,117
          Thinking about it now, it's not fair and you have a right to get replacements for free. Paying postage is probably something you will have to bite the bullet for, it depends on their terms and conditions. Some of the websites I have noticed offer 12 or 24 month plant guarantees, last year I was sent the wrong colour astilbes from jparkers and I didn't find out they were wrong until 8 months later. They still sent me replacements free of charge when they came in season again.

• pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,887
          I tend to think sending you the wrong plant is a bit different.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
            Ratings:
            +2,618
            They were bare root and came well packaged from a reputable online hedging nursery. I can't say how long they'd been in transit but they were put in buckets of water as soon as they arrived.

• Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • pete

Retired
              Ratings:
              +85,887
              Just something to think about maybe for anyone buying large amounts of hedging plants.
              Either spread them slightly thinner or order a few more than you need.

I just feel that you cannot expect 100% take for these kinds of plants.

So a few extra heeled in for a year would mean you have replacements of the same size should you get a few duds

Are the dead ones all in one place or scattered along at various places.

• Like Like x 1
              • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
                Ratings:
                +4,543
                Some retailers will offer replacements and refunds, while others will not. You need to read the terms and conditions when buying and also remember to keep a receipt for proof. We have in the past given replacements or refunds and sometimes we have not.

We do not sell plants online and we only sell plants that we think can thrive in our location, we also make sure plants have been hardened off first when we have purchased plants from a grower.

When buying large number of hedging plants, we recommend buying some extra and plant them somewhere else in the garden or in containers, then you have replacements.

• Like Like x 2
                • alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
                  Ratings:
                  +2,618
                  Many thanks for your answers. The plants are not all in one place and I planted them in a double, staggered row so the gaps are not going to be too noticeable. I have a few extra which I planted in another part of the garden that I can dig up if necessary so all is not lost.
                  I think I'll put it down to experience and blame the weather which the customer services did. Another lesson learned.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1