1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Fake News or Real?

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by CanadianLori, Jan 9, 2020.

1. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,615
    I received this little bit with my geek news and was wondering about opinions on this and if there are other things others have received which make you wonder if they are real or ??

"The father of modern taxonomy, Carl Linnaeus (a.k.a. Carl von Linné), would name “unpleasant” species after associates he didn’t care for; the noxious weed Siegesbeckia, for example, is named after the German botanist Johann Siegesbeck."

and in letters to the editor this one- re: Fires in Australia

"Odd, there’s no mention in the Canadian media about the 183 people who have been charged or warned by police about bushfires or the 24 arrested for arson for deliberately starting bushfires since Nov. 8 with data obtained from the New South Wales Bureau of Crime and Statistics. I know why this isn’t being reported: it goes against the climate change narrative. It’s arson not climate change that is torching Australia."

just sort of made me wonder … You?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,969
      Well, I was speaking to a family member, over here from Sydney , last night.

He confirmed that the "greens" in Australia have not allowed any controlled burning to take place for a number of years, something that was done a few years ago.

The place has always had fires, albeit smaller ones, and that was a way of forming fire breaks.

I seem to remember about 30 yrs ago, when Yellowstone was on fire most of the summer a lot of it was put down to stopping small fires for years beforehand, and allowing a large amount of dead material to build up.

Not heard any mention of fire starters in Oz as such, but there are usually a few around when this kind of thing happens.

• Like Like x 1
      • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
        Ratings:
        +30,615
        @pete I did wonder why they could have fires the last several summers that get out of control and what happened to the fire breaks. I believe we have the same issue with British Columbia. When they get a fire (sometimes arson is the cause) there are no breaks to stop them leaping and this is because of the greens stopping the control tactics years ago. Silliness!

• Like Like x 1
        • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,288
          • Like Like x 1
            Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
          • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
            Ratings:
            +30,615
            Too much fun. :) I'm wondering if there are any unnamed weeds left to name after some of the people I know :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
            • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
              Ratings:
              +5,368
              Compare that to reports in the media here.. The number 183 refers to the amount of fires started by Green activists. The source is quoted as from a newspaper called "The Australian" and owned by Rupert Murdoch.

From other Swedish sources, only two people have been arrested, and 171 have died.

• Informative Informative x 2