1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Fast growing very bushy Bushes for a relatively shaded spot?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by TheMadHedger, Apr 11, 2017.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    My side garden backs onto a field and one corner of the wild hedge (part of a raised wall) is relatively open.

I want to fill in the gap (which is about 7 feet long) with some fairly dense and bushy bushes - must be at least 5 feet high and fast growing. Any recommendations please?

The soil is well drained, the area doesn't get much sun but it has plenty of rain.

I'm happy to buy the bushes in a well developed state, even though this could be expensive.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    If it is an old country hedge you can only use native plants. So I am thinking Beech, Privet or Hawthorn.

3. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Thanks for the suggestions. :)

4. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    I agree; native species would be best. Privet is quick, evergreen and dense. Blackthorn is very dense when established plus you get loads of blossom. Hawthorn is excellent all round. Wild roses would add colour and all will be good for wildlife.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,731
      With blackthorn you will be able to harvest sloes for sloe gin in due course too!