1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

ferns

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by david, Mar 17, 2005.

1. david

david Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i have a small area that receives dappled sunshine and would like to grow ferns in this area.( not exotic...english varieties)
    advice please and if anybody knows suppliers in east of england area i would be most grateful

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    If you know anyone who has Amateur Gardening and can give you last weeks copy...they had a very good collection of 5 ferns in last week

3. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    How small is small? My Mum's had a male fern I think for ten years or more now and it's got a 3-4 foot spread and that's after I split it.I love ferns but they have 2 problems 1 a lot of them look very similar so you don't know which is which 2 if you do know what it's called you probably won't be able to pronounce it. :eek:

4. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Look out for the Harts tongue fern (asplenium) very different from most ferns in that it has broader strappy leaves instead of...well...ferny leaves

5. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  6. lynne

lynne Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i can thoroughly recommend dryopteris goldieana (syn:goldiana)
    it has beautiful light green leaves, with a touch of gold, and in the spring the new growth is delightfully pretty.
    I have 2 around the base of an amelanchier tree, in dappled sunlight, and they look FAB!

Enjoy them, they're lovely!

7. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2