1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Feverfew

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Hornbeam, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Feverfew is a medicinal herb that really does work! No more migraines!! :D :D :D It is coming into flower now and can be found in hedgerows as well as herb gardens. Originally from the Balkans, it came to Britain in the Middle Ages. It was the medieval world's aspirin being used for headaches and general aches and pains. [​IMG]

Clinical trials at the London Migraine Clinic established feverfew as an effective treatment for migraine. Chemical analysis showed that it prevented certain small blood vessels in the brain from going into spasm and thus causing migraines. It has since been made into pills. Some migraine sufferers (I'm one) simply chew a leaf and the pain goes. It is bitter, so you may prefer to make a tea and sweeten it with honey. The leaves are very distinctive and a golden green colour and not easy to mistake. As with all herbs - make sure you identify the plant correctly. There is a double flowered form too. They are perennial and seed themselves freely. No problem there as they are easy to pull up if they grow where not wanted.

2. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have just last night 'freed' a feverfew plant from the verge near me... I get migraines too and had tried feverfew tablets years ago with no luck.. I always use complementary therapies so will try again with the leaf chewing! Thanks H!

3. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Jay..be carefull taking things from the verge if cars have been going past where you took it from well let it grow in your garden till next year before you use it as plants absorb toxins from cars factorys etc..you could also try chamomile or valerian for your headaches or even skullcap...some people take the feverfew on bread to take the taste away!!and you could allways make a tincture of it and store it in the fridge then its allways available..

4. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I know, I wont eat roadside Feverfew dont worry -thanks mum!! ;) :D
    Ive tried valerian, chamomile, not skullcap though.. just about everything else I think though!! Cheers!

5. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If you try skullcap it tastes vile!! :mad:

6. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I dont care to be honest if it got rid of a migraine - have done the chinese herb thing, now that's not a nice taste!!