1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Flower Arranging

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by alana, Jul 15, 2017.

1. alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
    Ratings:
    +2,618
    This website may be helpful Irmemac - www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/lilies

I used to organise open gardens and had to identify plants that are poisonous. Health and Safety and the fear of litigation - so glad I'm not having to do it now

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,686
      Thanks, Alana. That is useful information, and good to know if my cat, who wanders all over the local area starts displaying any symptoms.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
        Ratings:
        +2,618
        Flower Festival this weekend at Aldeby. The theme is Nursery Rhymes - this is my take on Rockabye Baby. The baby is in there somewhere:) ff2.jpg

• Like Like x 5
        • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,414
          I also have an orange lily in a pot on my patio.

image.jpeg

I've never known either of our cats take any notice of it. I also had considered planting a lily in the bed. I saw one I liked called toad lily or something liked that. It was sort of pinkish with dark sports. I thought it would stand out. I guess I will think about something different.

(Is there a limit on the amount of times you can use the same photo? If not are bonus point awarded for the number of times you can use the same photo in a different context. If the latter applies then I reckon I must be ahead of the field.)

G.

• Like Like x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,686
            Beautiful display Alana. What a talent you have :yay:. Jack, my lily looked identical, but my pot was green! The lily lost its petals about 6 weeks ago.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
              +5,414
            • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,686
              Have you done anything with it? Cut it down etc? Mine is still sitting in its pot, no petals. No idea what to do next!

• Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
              +5,414
              Mine is the same. Last year I just hid it out of sight. It died off and came back. I will probably do the same this year. It's not a particularly nice pot anyway. It was just one I had kicking around.

G.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,510
              I've just found this thread and thought I'd post what Mrs Shiney did yesterday. One of her hobbies is flower arranging and she loves entering competitions as well as doing flowers for friends and relations weddings and events.

Mrs Shiney found out about another plant show at very short notice. It was in the nearest town run by the allotment association so she quickly thought up something to enter into the event. The arrangements had to be done on site between 9.30 and 11.00 and then the exhibitors (all different types of categories) had to leave, and come back when the show opened at 1.30. Everything had to come from your own garden or allotment.

She entered two flower arrangements (two different categories) and got first in both :thumbsup:

I'll get her to explain what she did.

P1340548.JPG

The title of this was "an arrangement using flowers and foliage from your garden". The container is an empty tissue box. I got a margarine container, measured the aperture at the top of the box and made sure the margarine container fitted snug in the hole. Then, with the margarine container taken out, cover the box as if you were wrapping a Christmas present. I used a gold strip metallic paper and tied a bow round it. Tuck the wrapping paper around the hole, this makes a good fit. Cut some oasis to size, soak well and put it in the container, about 1/2" proud of the container.

P1340549.JPG

I started by putting in three phormium leaves at the back. I manipulated the leaf by curling the top and stapling them into position. Trim the base of the leaves so that they are slimmer otherwise you will get too large a hole in the oasis. Add 3 hosta leaves overlapping at the base left. I then put in iris sibirica seed pods (5) as they were tall and black. I had some rudbeckia flowers with beautiful dark conical centres (5). Some of the petals were going over, so I removed them and got these beautiful dark showpieces. I then added pittosporum sprigs to the right hand side and some viburnum foliage to the base back. The whole idea is that your eye is drawn from the top of the arrangement to the base following the dark accents you have put in. Lastly, I put in one head of my hydrangea "Annabel" which is cream. The hosta variegation, the phormium variegation all pick up from each other and gives harmony to the design. I also then added 3 stems of cyperus (a grass) which is great for impact. Always use odd numbers of flowers or leaves - 1, 3, 5 - it s more pleasing on the eye.

P1340550.JPG

P1340551.JPG
              An arrangement in a basket no larger than 18" x 18" x 18". An important note: you must be able to use the handle to pick up the basket, so don't hide it in the arrangement. Get a large piece of oasis; put a piece of old oasis in the base to lift it up so that the oasis is slightly proud of the basket. I put some miscanthus (grass) in to mark my "boundary". I measured it - too long, so I trimmed it to fit the show schedule. I then proceeded to put in some sprigs of viburnum and pittosporum and then cut pieces of the alstromeria "Indian Summer" and put them in. I also added some of the flower spikes of a dark heuchera (chocolate ruffles) as it blended in with the colours. Never over crowd an arrangement - remember "You must have some space for the butterflies and bees"..... Also read show schedules - if you don't you are disqualified even before your arrangement is judged. Hope you have found this useful, and apologies if I have put in too much detail....... If you love flower arranging, you will find that gradually you are growing more things that are useful for cutting. I have a lot of evergreen shrubs, euonymous, pittosporum (they come in all colours), grasses, phormium etc.......... such fun!

• Like Like x 8
              • Creative Creative x 2
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
                Ratings:
                +6,133
                @shiney please tell Mrs Shiney :wow::wow::wow: i just :wub2::wub2::wub2: her arrangements easy to see why she came away with top prizes and :ThankYou::ThankYou::ThankYou: for her wonderful step by step explanation and how she created them ... I would like to make a suggestion that she has her own Mrs. Shiney account so she can be the resident Flower arranger adviser ;) - I LUV the Alstromeria "Indian Summer" I grow Calendula "Indian Prince" and will definitely,be on the look out to purchase and plant these two together next year :hapydancsmil::hapydancsmil::hapydancsmil:

• Like Like x 1
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +6,133
                  :snorky: he heee just noticed ive posted 3's in my post so i taken on board Mrs.Shineys advice already - good pupil i is :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 2
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                    Ratings:
                    +118,510
                    Mrs Shiney here....... So delighted that you enjoyed my step by step directions - enjoy many happy hours of flower arranging...... go on utube and google flower arranging and you will learn much....... then save the good ones to review another time. I will follow this up with other gift ideas for you xxx

• Friendly Friendly x 4
                    • Like Like x 2
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +6,133
                      :ThankYou:for your advice Mrs. Shiney :wub2: i look forward to your next update :wub2:
                      Kindest regards from little ole me Bee b104.gif

• Like Like x 2
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +1,686
                        Me too, exactly what Bee said! :ThankYou:

• Agree Agree x 2
                        • Friendly Friendly x 2
                        • alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
                          Ratings:
                          +2,618
                          Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.

I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with an eye to how they harmonise with their neighbours and I grow flowers in a cutting patch so I always have an arrangement in the house. You can't beat home grown:smile:

Flower arranging is a great follow on to the many hours we spend in our gardens and is an ideal opportunity to get up close and personal to our flowers.

• Like Like x 2
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1