Found a Solution to the Rat Problem

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by waylannder2002, Oct 17, 2023.

1. waylannder2002

waylannder2002 Apprentice Gardener

transport
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hey all,

I would like to tell you about my rat experience and this anti-rat peppermint oil spray from Amazon that helped me get rid of rats.

September was a rough month for my garden, thanks to an unexpected invasion of rats. It's like they had a party every night, right in the middle of my veggies. Seriously, I found chunks taken out of my heirloom tomatoes, and my zucchinis had little nibble marks. Most infuriating was the fact they decided to set up their little "rat hotel" next to my compost pile, creating a maze of burrows.

I tried a few home remedies, including some DIY sprays and even considered getting a cat at one point (kidding... maybe). I was desperate and needed something pet-safe because of my two overly curious dogs, Daisy and Rufus.

So, after browsing countless forums and checking out a ton of reviews, I stumbled upon this spray I used. The description said it was all-natural and completely non-toxic, which was exactly what I was looking for.

Now, I didn't expect miracles. But y'all, that's exactly what I got. I spritzed my garden with it every evening, especially around the problem areas, and by the end of a week? No more rats. No more chewed up veggies. And no more rat hotel next to my compost.

It's been weeks, and I've yet to see a single rat or any evidence of them. So, if any of you are going through a similar rat debacle, I genuinely recommend giving this spray a shot. And for those of you who've found other effective methods, feel free to share. Let's help each other keep our gardens rodent-free!

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 3
      Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
    • lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,988
      Brilliant @waylander...I've started using peppermint oil and Eucalyptus Oil ...:thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,207
        Sounds good, worth a try, might keep cats away as well ?

If the rats get into the compost heap, just push something down through the compost to make thin deep holes and put the hose pipe down them for a while so it floods their runs, they soon leave home !

• Useful Useful x 1
        • Baalmaiden

Baalmaiden Gardener

Ratings:
          +247
          Never had rats in the compost heap but did have a wood mouse once. He scarpered when I lifted off the bin. I found he had eaten all the pips from the citrus in the kitchen waste. We did have rats in the attic once and had to call in the exterminator. That was when we didn't have a cat and our two keep them away now. We do get the odd young rat brought in as a 'present' though.

• Like Like x 2
          • waylannder2002

waylannder2002 Apprentice Gardener

transport
            Ratings:
            +21
            It was my first experience in the compost heap, and I am still wondering what brought them there. My neighbor advised me to install some traps, but I was afraid of my curious dogs.

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
            Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
            Ratings:
            +10,675
            We don't have rats here. But field mice are about. For inside our car trailer we use Irish Spring soap, cut up, placed in corners, seems to work.
            Last time I actually saw a rat was in New Orleans along the water front, they are certainly big. A normal cat does not kill those things, takes a small dog. Oh, yes, and recalled seeing one at a resort we stayed in, Dominican Republic.

• Baalmaiden

Baalmaiden Gardener

Ratings:
            +247
            Unfortunately we have lots of rats in the UK. Probably the result of our bad habits of throwing fast food away in places they can access. A lot of farms have 'farm cats' which are semi wild but encouraged by the farmers to hang around so they keep down vermin. The mothers teach the kittens how to catch rats whereas most domestic cats usually don't tackle anything bigger than a mouse. My cats both catch the odd mouse and young rat but I think their smell mostly keeps the vermin away. We certainly see far fewer than when we were catless!