1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Garden blogs

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by CharlieBot, Dec 17, 2014.

1. CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,523
    Does anyone here keep or follow a garden blog? Out of boredom and not feeling well I've started one, mainly to keep a record of my garden should the photos be lost from iPad/iphone. I can post a link if anyone is interested?

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Now, why would I follow a blog when enough things happen on GC and in my own garden to write a book on!!!:heehee:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Yep, always find blogs are designed to take folk off the main board, not much interaction going on there.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,610
        Sorry, don't think I've ever looked at one. :scratch:

• Funny Funny x 1
        • CharlieBot

Ratings:
          +2,523
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836

Naah, Charlie,......what's the difference between a blog on site and a blog off site????:dunno::snork:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • CharlieBot

Ratings:
            +2,523
            The wordpress/blogspot ones are styled to a theme (as an extension of your garden or personality) and more importantly you can tag/search posts with keywords like 'dahlia' or 'snowdrops' for example to find more specific information or photos.

• CharlieBot

Ratings:
            +2,523
            I'm finding the gardeners world forum particularly tedious at the moment, just loads of in-jokes, snide references and 'cliques'.
            For example, one member starts a lot of threads and people constantly slate him and make digs, another person does the same but it's ok because they're in 'the clique'. Hence me turning to blogs to read information!

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836

I can see why you would, Charlie, but I'm pretty sure you're not including GC in that as we don't seem to have "cliques". I must confess there is the occasional "in-jokes" but they're rare and aren't meant to exclude anyone. Having said that cliques and slating of members would soon meet the wrath of Admin and members alike.
            To be honest, Charlie, I don't follow blogs as I don't like being a "follower" and, although we have our "quiet spells" on GC there's enough going on usually to keep me interested. So I guess I have a natural aversion to blogs:dunno::doh:

• Agree Agree x 4
            • CharlieBot

Ratings:
              +2,523
              I was, of course, only referring to gardeners world. The admin/mods here are much more active and people on here in general a lot friendlier! Awww...you can follow me anytime! ( I'll warn you, I'm quite a fast walker though) :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 3
              • Like Like x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                Actually, Charlie, that's what we try not to be!!!! We try to maintain a low presence and only intervene in the very, very rare occasion of a contentious thread getting out of hand, a clash of two "strong" personalities, or a Reported post or thread, etc. So we make an effort to be neutral and logical in all disputes etc, as it is all too easy to lose the respect of members if it ever appeared that we were not. But you are right in saying that the Members/Gang on GC are friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable [slightly quirky:rolleyespink::heehee:] and it is They who make GC the kind of forum it is. I can think of so many gestures of genuine kindness and sympathy and friendliness extended by so many members over time and I can't think of any Forum to match GC and the Gang.:love30::snork:

• Like Like x 3
                • Agree Agree x 2
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                  +8,083
                  Would 2nd Armandii. After some less than pleasant experiences on a number of sites (did anybody ever visit Sagazone before it was cancelled!? OMG) I steered clear of forums until a friend of mine suggested GC as it was very friendly, pretty well Troll free and had very knowledgeable members. In almost 4 years of membership I have received loads of great advice, had lots of laughs and have never been made to feel anything other than welcome. I'd be surprised if others don't feel the same as I do.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +16,246
                    GC is very well policed by our admin team . If any posts are getting a little head to head it is soon sorted :paladin: Also no signs of cliques , the many gurus we have on here are more than willing to pass on advice to the beginners and hobby gardeners like me. :dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • CharlieBot

Ratings:
                      +2,523
                      I meant active as in visiting/posting, not intervening.

• Like Like x 1
                      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                        Ratings:
                        +118,497
                        Charlie, you're right :blue thumb: :).

Admin are very good at remaining in the background (apart from their own personal posts - or when they're insulting me :heehee:) and only need to step in on extremely rare occasions. Some of the regular members try to sort things out (by being friendly or joking) before things go too far.

This is a very quiet time of year on the forum but, during the growing season most of us are too busy to bother with blogs. Some members do have blogs but I hardly ever visit them. Anything I think I would be interested in I just ask on here and someone helps or directs me to an existing thread.

Although you shouldn't necessarily take me as an example - I never watch TV gardening programmes either! :noidea:

With ARMANDII's comment about kindliness, sympathy and friendliness, I can only endorse that. There's a wonderful bunch of people on here :love30: and a lot of them go out of their way to help.

You want to try and get along to my Open Day. I hold it each year, for charity, and we now get a large contingent of members from all over the country turning up. :dbgrtmb: They're a great crowd. :yahoo:

• Like Like x 3