1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Garden Centres - Is It Just Me ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by andrews, Feb 25, 2020.

1. DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
    +259
    Lol no - you certainly couldn't make it up. I'm laughing even more now I've read your bit about the internet. Priceless. Absolutely priceless.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Well, sometimes such people can be an "oasis of rest":dunno::heehee: Three years ago, my sister who lives in Shropshire rang her brother, (me), in Cheshire asking me to take her to a Pub for a meal. She'd suddenly remembered going to the particular Pub decades ago with her late Husband and wanted to go again. So I picked her and drove off into the wilds of Shropshire looking for the Pub, and finding it, in we went.
      Let's call it an "old fashioned"50's type country Pub inside. So I went to the bar, and not looking at the Menu's they were covered in Christmas decorations and my sister guessed they would be serving the same meals as before:hate-shocked:, I ordered the meals and drink and distracted by my sister's "settling in" missed how much it would cost but reached for my Debit Card. I was about to give it to the Barman/Owner but froze when he fixed me with a stare and said "No cards, only cash". So, there I am stuck in a strange country Pub, not knowing how much the meals and drinks cost, and being told my Card was just plastic. To be honest, I didn't know how much, if any, money I had in my wallet but found two £20 and one £10 note.
      Proferring the Notes the Barman looked at me if I was mentally challenged and plucked a £20 Note from my fingers. I waited, in case there was any change and there was......£7.50p......Naah, never, not for two Steak, Chips and all the trimmings, two Apple Pie and cream, an Orange Juice for my sister and a pint of Mild for me. I risked asking "is that right?" and he looked at me while downgrading me to the Village idiot and nodded.
      We've been going there now for nearly 3 years, the Barman/owner and I are great friends, we shake hands when he serves me a superb pint of dark Mild and the meals are home cooked by his Wife and to "die for":love30: He tells me he takes only cash, does all his own finances, only uses the landline to order Beer from the local brewery (he's Free House), gets all his other foodstuffs from the local farms and has trouble squeezing customers in over the weekends. He wouldn't thank me if I gave him a computer, told him it would be good for his business if he bought online or permitted the use of Cards, as he says, more Banks, more online, more plastic, more cost.

• Like Like x 4
      • DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
        +259
        Yes Armandii - an Oasis of Rest is sometimes good and sounds like you've got a good one there! It's a reason why I've joined Team Cash following receipt of the email below. I was laughing my pants off at the attitude of Mr Plantsman and andrews comment that "He has no idea what the internet is, only that he doesn't like it" not that fact that he only takes cash. It's just that cash is not king any longer.

[​IMG]

Deborah -

Unless there is urgent government intervention, cash will disappear from the UK in two years.* We’re not ready for this.

The upcoming Budget will decide the future of cash. The government has a huge opportunity here to protect this crucial payment method for the millions of people who rely on it. Changing the law is the only way to save cash – but there’s a risk it may do nothing. That's why we're launching a week of action to protect cash.

Our Team Cash Facebook group will coordinate everything that’s happening, and make sure supporters like you get real-time updates and know exactly how to get involved.

• Like Like x 2
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Facebook:hate-shocked::runforhills::runforhills::runforhills::runforhills::runforhills::runforhills::runforhills::runforhills::runforhills:

• Agree Agree x 2
          • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
            Ratings:
            +21,340
            I'm all in favour of protecting cash, especially my own. So I have a lock on my wallet and a big metal box under the bed.

• Funny Funny x 5
            • Like Like x 1
            • DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
              +259
              Indeed! .... hate it too. Joined to keep updated about a HK handover reunion party group that was being organised in London. I have 1 friend on there - don't' desire any more. I do find it useful for the odd thing however. Apart from that I am FB non friendly for sure !!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
              • DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
                +259
                But back to the point in hand .... I feel really lucky to have a few great independent little garden centres [sans le cafe] close to me which stock some fabulous items - healthy, sometimes unusual and always great value. Can buy little bags of fishbone, grit n gravel etc rather than overpriced nonsense .... I like to 'spread the wealth' as a friend once told me she does ... and shop in each one as well as the larger places on occasion too .......

• Like Like x 2
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
                  +259
                  Now I'm going off topic - so apologies for that - but I need some advice/suggestions/ideas on what to plant in a little corner of my 'yarden' which is south facing but the corner is against the boundary fence which faces north. Can anyone let me know which would be best forum to post my question in please?
                  Thank you :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                    Ratings:
                    +21,340
                    @DMM
                    I would post it in the Garden Projects section with a couple of photos of the spot and any requirements like must be in containers.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Useful Useful x 1
                    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                      Ratings:
                      +31,954
                      Most uk trailors will take 26 chep pallets (44-45 footer's) if goods do not over hang the pallets, 24 chep pallets on old trailors (40 footers') and there will room for half one on the back :biggrin:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
                    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                      Ratings:
                      +118,511
                      Our favourite local nursery is very busy from late March until October and reasonably busy for most other times. They give advice to their customers and won't sell you a plant in early Spring if it needs protection and you don't have somewhere to keep it. They will tell you when to come back to buy it.

Although we propagate most of our own plants we go there reasonably regularly to buy very young plants that are not worth the effort of us growing them. Those are normally sold at 80p per pot but they usually give us 20% discount as it's for charity. They also, now, give us special prices on things like Euphorbias and Erysimum as we don't have enough time to grow the quantity that we can sell - although we still grow some of our own. I see that they are currently selling pansies and violas at 40p.

When we go there they usually have a queue of people at the cash desk and every seems to have at least one full flatbed trolley of plants. They have one person at their single till and another who works through the trolley calling out the plants and prices. That person also questions them about any of their purchases that may be awkward to grow and tells them whether they need to be under shelter for x weeks or months. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 3
                      • DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
                        +259
                        Brilliant - will do. Thanks very much.