1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Garden visit - Chelsea Physic Garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Snorky85, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,971
    Mum and I took the train into London on Friday and went to Chelsea Physic Garden. Well over the last couple of years I’ve visited many different gardens around the world including Tokyo, San Francisco etc etc. I’ve got to say, this was the most beautiful and most interesting garden I have visited.

It was crammed with information and different plants but also felt like a beautiful open haven in busy London. It’s a walled garden divided into various “physic” themes.

There was a free tour put on by volunteers and ours lasted an hour-it was so interesting. We spent from 11am til 4:30pm there!

Just wanted to recommend it to folk on here-if they get chance to visit London (Sloane Square) it is certainly worth the £10 entry fee (its a charity that doesn't receive any govt funding).
    475A7011-9ADC-4E8C-84EE-744343373B91.jpeg
    2FFA9D8C-7C7B-417F-B4EC-FE9C0AF53F1F.jpeg

DAA807CA-1560-4EA9-B585-263A982ABFB9.jpeg
    6D26AEC3-C6BF-41CE-8BA5-38EE3C111BA9.jpeg FB7C0387-6B03-4B46-8E1C-0BE15FBBB1AF.jpeg 86E4EBFC-40E4-4804-8E42-CBD4903703AA.jpeg C4C37010-53D4-4887-9CF1-194606B7C541.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
    • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +9,233
      This looks wonderful! About the only way I could survive a day in London now!!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
        Ratings:
        +10,971
        Same here Sian, it was heaven. My pictures don't do it justice. I love the beds of systematic order...and the medicinal garden...and the fernery...and the glasshouses. Beautiful.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
          Ratings:
          +2,618
          I went last year and I agree @Snorky it is an interesting and informative garden. I liked the poisonous plant section with so many plants used for medicinal purposes. I also went on a guided tour and our guide was so knowledgeable about the history of the garden. I didn't know until then that Sloane Square was called after the founder of the garden.
          It is a real oasis of calm in a built up area of London and a good place to visit after the hustle and bustle of the Chelsea Flower Show.

Another lovely garden is 22 Fenchurch Street roof garden - well worth a visit if you're in London. We went in June this year shortly after it was completed. The garden is still in it's infancy but impressive all the same. There's a walkway all the way round with panoramic views of London amid a relaxing garden. Walking at street level who'd have thought?​

Part of the garden
          P1020014.JPG
          P1020012.JPG
          crop.jpg
          and one of the views
          view_edited-1.jpg

• Like Like x 6
          • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
            Ratings:
            +10,971
            @alana oh I saw that on tv but didnt catch whereabouts in london it was-thanks for the info. I’ll have another trip in for the day and go and check it out :)

• Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,731
            Glad you enjoyed it, Snorky! Did you see the big old olive tree, meant to be the largest in Britain?

Another garden excursion I really enjoyed in London recently was visiting Kew Gardens for the Chihuly glass installations, which are on until the end of October: Chihuly: Reflections on nature | Kew.

You could spend the whole day there anytime of course, looking round all the gardens and also the various historic buildings, including Kew Palace and the Pagoda - which looks especially jolly now that all the roof-dragons have been restored, Behind the dragons | Kew

But I do really recommend going while this exhibition is still on - the glass and the plants work so well together. Everyone I know who's been has loved it!

• Like Like x 2
            • 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
              Ratings:
              +1,840
              Thanks for the pictures @Snorky85 , I keep meaning to try and work in a visit but so far haven't managed. They have a very interesting and beautiful instagram account that is well worth a follow if you're on there though!

• Like Like x 1
              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,485
                Thanks @Snorky85 It looks slightly different to when I last went there - in 1956 :old: :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1