gardening help

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Dave, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Dave

Dave Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have been gardening most of my life, if any one out there needs any help just look me up and i will endever to help ;)

2. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,943
    Thanks Dave, that's what this site is all about.

Nathan.

3. Debs

Debs Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - can you help - the soil in our garden is rock hard in the summer and this year I really want to sort it out. What can I do?

Thanks

4. richard

richard Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Debs - get your hands on as much ORGANIC material as you can e.g. compost/horse manure.Ideallly like now!It ought to be dug in but even if you lay it on the surface -a MULCH - it will get incorporated eventuallly into the soil.Worms will love it and do alot of work for you.Stops the soil from drying out so less watering!It will improve the structure of the soil allowing healthy root growth.Just keep topping up because this mulch will disappear into the soil.
    Richard

5. Debs

Debs Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Richard - we have a compost bin which we tend to put garden waste and grass cuttings in but have never emptied it!! The top is a bit slimy but the stuff at the bottom seems OK. Would this be suitable to dig in or lay on the surface?

Thanks for your reply by the way - it's nice to know someone is out there!

Debs

6. Dougy

Dougy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Dave, I have moved into a new house with a 625 sq mtr garden surrounded by 15 ft high conifers. Everywhere is lawn. At the moment I am cutting a large border (kidney shapes), and need advise on what kind of shrubs and trees to put in it. Can you give me names of possible plants , evergreens if possible, which would give good spread and different heights????????? According to my neighbour the garden gets direct sun most of the day in the summer months, and the soil does not seem to be clay or too sandy. I am sure a good quality top soil has been deposited. Thankyou, Dougy.