1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening Mentors

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Lad, May 15, 2011.

1. Lad

Lad Gardener

Senior Consultant
    Ratings:
    +46
    Has anyone ever experienced gardening mentors? Many new plot holders may or may not be beginners and would it not be a good idea if there were volunteers on sites who could take them under their wing and assist them for a year?

I am also writing a beginners guide to gardening and allotment gardening for new plot holders that will be given out with their rules.

anyone experienced that too?

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    The thing about a mentor, Lad, is that he has to be able to communicate, be able to encourage and instill enthusiasm in his "apprentice". There are so many "expert" gardeners out there who could teach other more inexperienced gardeners but would fail because they haven't got the people management skill or charisma, and the one's that have those qualities are fewer than you'd think.

• Like Like x 1
    • Lad

Lad Gardener

Senior Consultant
      Ratings:
      +46
      Lol yes there are some miserable old do da's on allotments:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
      • Lisa11

Lisa11 Gardener

Ratings:
        +3
        Totally agree - that would be an excellent idea! :dbgrtmb:

As a new plot holder, I am struggling :dunno: so something like this would really help novices like me :wub2:

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
        Ratings:
        +3,699
        Direct any new plot holders to Gardeners Corner, there is a whole heap of mentors here...just waiting for questions to be asked.

Steve...:)

• loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
        +34
        lad the ari do good starter sheets for new plot holders

google the allotment regeneration initiative and look in their info area give them that and this site and they will have a good focus on what to do

Loopy

• Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
        Ratings:
        +13
        Ask me another!

Some years ago when Gardeners World was in full flow about the only way is organic and it's a hanging offence to use nasty chemicals etc, every year we had a massive turnover in new allotment holders, all pre programmed saying " I'm organic and i'm not going to feed my family chemicals".

They knew absolutely nothing about gardening arriving in a plot waist high in weeds, with the usual pallets, bit of wood to make raised beds, poked around for a few days or weeks then dissappeared never to be seen again!

When some of us tried to give advice to make their lives easier, about using weedkiller, burning the weeds etc before they started making raised beds, we were told they knew what they were doing!

Funilly enough, now that GW is not so "facist" we no longer get their type, and over the last few years the new commers have got their plots in good nick (well almost all) and actually take produce from the plot, which was the idea in the first place!

We have an old bloke there now for just over three years, who works part time in a plant nursery and if I ask him about anything he usually give a reasonable answer.

His only problem is that he want's me to buy Moles seeds, that is commercial packs,10,000 hipsi cabbage seeds in a pack when I only need about fifty in a season!

Cheers