1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening problems - new tools/gadget ideas

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by tkelly-lord, Sep 7, 2010.

1. tkelly-lord

tkelly-lord Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

as part of my class I have to solve some garden related problems through product design. This could be anything from a task being too hard to do/ to reach/ break etc

- Can you think of any products (e.g. sprinklers, spray gungs, mowers, blowers etc) that could be improved in some way or could be better designed for certain gardening niche markets (e.g. different climates, large/small gardens, disabilities etc).

- Are there some problems which still haven't been solved through design and so designing a totally a new product for the travel market? Or adding a feature to a product to improve it in some way.

Thanks guys, really appreciate any help and would love to hear your responses.

Tom

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    No offence Tom, but aren`t YOU supposed to solve the problem?:gnthb:

3. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,838
    :hehe: that was a fair point!

How about a garden sprayer with extra long nozzle so you can target specific weeds without bending down?

4. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    diatheplant and Loofah have a point, but without knowing what course he is taking, I do know from my own daughters degrees that it's not just about coming up with arguments and answers but you often have to show the research you've done to come up with those arguments and answers too - so I'm guessing that's what Tom is doing.

Sadly, so many products these days, seemed to be designed just for sake of it - if you want an example of 'niche markets' just take a look at all the unnecessary products JML can come up with!

The ideal product would be the one without the built in obsolescene - so many times you buy something, it developes a fault and the ruddy moulded plastic means there's no way of effecting what would be a simple, inexpensive repair.

So far as a practical answer to your question goes - I want a 'wheelbarrow' like my Grandad had. Very similar to the garden trolleys you can buy, but it had just 2 large wheels mounted centrally (much better for 'garden terrain' than small wheels), a large handle that went the width of the thing that you could use two hands on - not just the one-handed things they sell now. It had two hinged 'feet' (for want of a better description) at the opposite end from the handle which meant you could have it standing level and the drop down 'flap' at the end made it easy to slide out compost, shingle et.al. Of course, it was made of wood and, since I can't buy one, I'm going to make one for myself.

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :scratch: Well Tom, nothing really springs to mind for me, but I would say a sadly neglected area of gardening is tools for the disabled..... Maybe you could help them out.. !:wink:

6. tkelly-lord

tkelly-lord Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am supposed to solve a problem yes, I am merely looking for a problem to solve =)

It is so difficult though in todays highly saturated market, to find anything unique, innoavtive and actually worthwhile.

very tricky

7. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I obviously misread the post Tom, my apologies.:thumb:

8. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Polystyrene safety caps for garden canes and stakes to reduce the risks and consequences of a poke in the eye when bending over a bed.
    We use corks with holes drilled in them and small yoghurt drink bottles, but the corks have to be drilled to sizes that fit a range of thickness and the bottles sometimes blow off and don't look good.
    It should be possible to design a 'one size fits all' polystyrene cap in a nice neutral colour.
    These may already exist, but I've not seen any.

9. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Dave, you can already buy eye protectors for canes.:gnthb: Loofah, you can already get lance extensions.:gnthb::D

10. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Hi TKelly-Lord an idea, Fluorescent garden tools. i am forever leaving down garden tools working late at night in the garden and i cannot find the damn things:(. nothing to do with gardening but, a fluorescent
    tv channel changer would be a great thing ,as in our house we can never find it, and nobody touched it:skp: music:cool:

11. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Music, try turning the lights on.:lollol::lollol::lollol::gnthb:

12. Fidgetsmum

Ratings:
    +865
    Looking at music's post does actually give me a suggestion.

What about one of those 'sonic key finder' type gadgets in the handle of garden tools? No more lost/buried trowles, hand forks, secateurs etc.

13. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    My biggest garden equipment problem is storage. Not the big stuff, but the little stuff you just seem to accumulate as a gardener. Pen knife, plant labels and pen, string and twist ties, little tubs and envelopes with saved seed in, clips and hooks and nick-nacks.

At the moment it's just all chucked in a box by the door.

If you can invent a more effective solution to the nick-nack storage problem than the ever-reliable "multi purpose Gardening Stuff box", you'll probably be a millionaire!

14. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Hi Andrewh. my grandaughter has the solution to nick-nack storage problems she puts them all in a tumble dryer :D . she told me "Pa Pa i have tidied up your shed and put all your bits in the Tumble dryer. we have a small tumble dryer in the shed :wink:. i check it every time she goes home :wink:. music :cool:.

15. Fidgetsmum

Ratings:
    +865
    I've got one of these, not only can you sit on it, but you can store all your 'bit's 'n bobs' under your bum!
    [​IMG]