1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

gas bbq

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by catztail, Aug 31, 2011.

1. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    bargain priced gas bbq

Have just been to my local Asda and they have a basic 2 burner gas bbq for 8.75. I already own one from last year and can recommend it, especially if you have maybe wanted one but weren't sure. It's nothing fancy but does what it's meant to and I wouldn't be without it. Consequently I bought one because it was cheap and in case I need a spare. Always happy to bag a bargain!

• Like Like x 1
    • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      in a few weeks time, it will be time to shop on ebay for a charcoal weber bbq

mine was stolen, so ended up buying a smaller tesco lookalike for £19,99 earlier this summer

the leg has already broken off, but has served me well for the price paid

a large 57cm used weber charcoal BBQ will sell for between £20-£30 on ebay in few weeks time when the cold weather sets

it will also be a good time to search for used lawnmowers and hedgetrimmers etc ... bargains to be had in winter

• Like Like x 1
      • catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
        Ratings:
        +2,250
        I like my gas one and use it quite a bit. You need to shop around a bit for the gas but I managed to find a fairly cheap supplier that delivers and doesn't ask for a deposit. I'm still using the same bottle as last year. All in all a good deal and I love the taste of bbq burgers and steaks. This post is making me wish is thawed out something to cook on it :heehee:

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,593
        I enjoy charcoal BBQ's ... even better is when you use decent wood, but sadly, here in the UK we do not easily find good dried wood that is suitable for a BBQ

In south africa, we used to get all types of wood for BBQ including wood from thorn trees, and one really good one that was a red wood that was very heavy and burned for a very long time (I cannot remember the name of the wood/tree)

they all give different flavours to the meat, but you can get wood chips from many DIY stores that sell BBQ's, .... wet them, then place them in an tinfoil pie dish (or make a small dish with tinfoil) .... place that in your gas BBQ, place the lid on the BBQ and you will be able to 'smoke' the meat for a while to add a different flavour ... there are all types of smoking chips including oak/beech etc

used to be a problem here in my area to aquire BBQ charcoal during winter, but we now have a large shop that sells Polish foods, and they always have charcoal ...

I see our local Tesco is already starting to reduce the charcoal shelves, so winter will be here soon
        :(

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,508
        Hi folks.

I too have a gas bbq, a three burner thingy from Asda. Whilst it's quick and easy to use, the food just doesn't taste as good compared with a charcoal version, imo. Maybe the taste of ash adds that certain something? :D

• Like Like x 1
        • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,389
          Very interesting about all the woods.