1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Geranium Rozanne Lanky ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, Aug 27, 2018.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    I bought a couple of small Geranium Rozannes a few weeks back . They are growing well and showing a few nice flowers , but each stem is very long . Should I prune them back now to promote a bushier plant ? Or leave it to next spring or even leave them alone ?
    TIA

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    No Harry....leave them now. If this was mid summer then yes because they would have regrown and reflowered. Enjoy the flowers now. Plants will die down in a month or so and new growth will begin again in spring.
    Cutting back herbaceous now wont produce bushier growth for next year :)

Next summer, say early July, cut off the flowers for vigorous flush well into the autumn :)

• Informative Informative x 1
      Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    • HarryS

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Thanks @Verdun , so the Rozanne dies right back in winter , and a midsummer cut back next season will promote later flowers :blue thumb:

• Verdun

Ratings:
      +17,487
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      001.JPG Good choice of plant @HarryS . It was voted plant of the centenary by the RHS? and well deserved. It flowers for ages creates a nice "mound", needs zero attention, doesn't need staking as not too tall and it is tough as old boots.
      It's only very slight downside as it doesn't come true from seed but easily struck from cuttings or division. I got rid of (sold in my charity sale) all my Johnsone Blue Geranium which is pretty similar but flowers are not as big and flowering period much much shorter as it was too similar but inferior to my mind.
      I grow a large number of hardy geranium as they make superb ground cover (needed in a garden my of my size). Apart from a very pretty double Himalayan Plenum (above) which flowers twice but has a rest during a good part of the summer, Roxanne is my favourite hardy Geranium.
      I realised the worth of this genus years ago when I visited a superb open garden in a god forsaken part of Scotland where it was a fair challenge to grow anything. The garden was about 3 acres and run more or less single handed by an amazing plants woman. I couldn't believe the lack of weeds around but soon saw her use of Geraniums eliminated much of where weeds would have take advantage of if bare soil.

• Like Like x 2
      • HarryS

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        I knew that Rozanne was a very highly rated plant , but could I find one in our local nurseries no ! I orderd two plants on Ebay in the end .

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • silu

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Yes @HarryS , garden centres seem quite reluctant to stock hardy Geraniums. Perhaps because that don't have a huge impact when in a small pot they would rather stock plants which have the impulse buy factor:noidea:
          I have maybe 30 different varieties of Geranium and can say for certain none of them came from garden centres! Can you tell I don't go a bomb on these chains of garden centres which in reality are coffee shops with gradually diminishing sections of plants, the majority of which will have been bought in from Holland, garden supermarkets would be a better name for them. However, it would appear that the public like them so I will just choose to go elsewhere when I wish to buy plants.

• Like Like x 2
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Verdun

Ratings:
            +17,487
            I grow a few hardy geraniums and rozanne is prob the longest flowerer. Here one makes a glorious purple/blue mound all summer long at least 2.5 metres across and almost a metre high.:)

Orion, Elke, Jolly Bee, Ann Folkhard, Patricia and Wargrave Pink also flower here for a very long time and offer a different colour. :)

• Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +5,414
            My Rozanne was bought last autumn after the flowers had all gone. It died down completely over winter still in its pot. In the spring I planted it out. It has thrived ever since. I thought mine looked a bit lanky and it gets flattened by the rain but I'm sure it will thicken out over the next year or two. It's definitely a lot bigger now than it was when I planted it. I can't take a photo at the moment as it is currently hidden from view.

G.

• Like Like x 1
            • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,414
              20180730_150930.jpg
              This photo was dated 30th July. I'm expecting the plant to completely fill that space. It will add colour to a dark spot and soften the end of the slabs. Under there is a scattering of random spring bulbs (aconites, daffodils and snowdrops). That should be enough for all year interest.

G.

• Like Like x 1
              • Verdun

Ratings:
                +17,487
                Yes Gary....it should indeed fill that space and prob by next summer :)

• Like Like x 2
                • Mark56

Mark56 Super Gardener

Ratings:
                  +957
                  Mine was a little slow to get going but now there is no stopping it, 2rd year I think maybe 3rd.

• Like Like x 1
                  • HarryS

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +16,246
                    That could be it @silu . The Rozanne does not have a great WoW factor as a small pot plant , hence my difficulty in finding it .
                    From the posts above , I have planted both of them in the wrong locations . I did not realise they would cover such a large area . Is it best to move them now , or wait until they spring into life next season :scratch:
                    Does anybody else keep wanting to call it Geranium Roxanne , I do :snorky:

• Verdun

Ratings:
                    +17,487
                    Harry, I am a great believer in moving plants in autumn....now...rather than in spring. For a start we can see how they fit in; the soil is warm and moist too so the roots will still be growing.
                    Ha ha, yep! I say roxanne, rozanne, whatever occurs.:)
                    Very few plants actually look their best in pots.....hardy geraniums esp:)

• silu

Ratings:
                      +8,083
                      Oh boy yes @HarryS I actually thought that was it's name for quite a while!:). I wouldn't move it now while presumably it's still flowering but you could either move it once all it's foliage dies down in the autumn or wait till spring. I live in a pretty cold part so do most of my moving in the spring but geraniums are extremely obliging so the choice is yours.