1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting rid of nettles?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by mimosa, Jun 20, 2005.

1. mimosa

mimosa Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got any magic techniques for iradicating nettles? There's an area of our garden that borders the woods and I'd like to keep it fairly wild but useable - with meadow flowers/ grasses etc. It's packed full of nettles, though, and as much as I cut them down they keep coming back bigger and stronger.

2. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    They are a pest, aren't they! :mad:

Cutting them down will only encourage their growth. To eradicate, I'm afraid you'll have to get in there with a fork and trowel and dig the blighters' roots out!

However, if you're not that energetic, then try some Roundup which you spray on the leaves and watch them fade away. But it's quite indiscriminate so if you have other plants there that you want to keep, take great care not to let the spray get on them. The spray is harmless to wildlife and pets as soon as it is dry but takes several days to work its way through the plants system to the roots where it works its evil magic!!! :eek:

Good luck!!

[ 20. June 2005, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: michaelmasdaisy ]

3. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same kind of thing in my garden. I have made an imaginary line beyond which no nasties are allowed and i am rutheless. Behind the line i chop some back but leave the rest to its own devices. The longer i do this the more it seems to work as the nice things get stronger and thicker.

4. mimosa

mimosa Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for both your suggestions. I like the imaginary line idea. I'll let you know how I get on!

5. Charlie

Charlie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Roundup will work but to be most effective catch them just when they start to grow early in the season. But then of course the really deadly one is Gromoxone if you can get it but be careful it will kill everything including grass and you!

6. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    This is what came up when i put nettles in as the keyword here
    http://www.garden-care.org.uk/GardenCare/default.asp
    (there is a box to check if you prefer to garden orgasmically [​IMG] )

Search Results:

Doff Tree Stump & Tough Weed Killer
    Doff Ready-to-use: granules

Doff Tough Weedkiller Spray
    Doff Ready-to-use: liquid

Roundup Tough Weedkiller
    Scotts Concentrated: liquid

Roundup GC

Roundup Ultra 3000

Roundup Tough Weedkiller Ready to Use
    Scotts Ready-to-use: liquid

Casoron G4 Weedbarrier
    Vitax Ready-to-use: granules

7. Ray P

Ray P Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Use Grazon 90 if you can get it. You may have to get some off a farmer friend but it the killer for nettles, much better than Roundup