1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

GEUM care and end of season cut-back

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by nightofjoy, May 15, 2019.

1. nightofjoy

nightofjoy Gardener

Ratings:
    +20
    Hi Mike. Sorry for the late reply, and thanks for the input. I had already been taking off the flowering shoots at the next juncture, not like picking out the heads on smaller plants, and the results have been staggering over the summer.

Each of our three plants is approx 3ft in diamater, flowers reaching about 4ft and coming in through the living room window, with enormous leaf systems at the bottom and so much flowering activity, they make it difficult to get to certain areas of the garden. A staggering show.

I assume they will die back at some point, but I think I'm going to have to cut them back. The bases are like massive mutant cabbages, and you can't even get to the pots to water them, you have to take the end off the hose/can and feed it through the jungle!

So... if all that green madness doesn't die back, what do I do before I split them? Should you ever cut back leaf activity, or only ever shoots & stems?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    No problems. Glad to be of help.