1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Golden Hop - when to plant ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, Aug 23, 2011.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    I have just bought on Ebay a Golden Hop Tassles ( compact hop ). This is to replace a reluctant Nelly Moser clematis , that keeps dieing back :gaagh:-and I have been watering it well ! Now the clematis is on a northish facing wall which gets the sun from early to late morning. The sunshine hours are reducing as we head into autumn.
    Now should I plant the Hop now , and lift the clematis to overwinter in a container - or pot up the hop into a larger container and let it get the sun until it dies back ? Then leave it outside or in the potting shed ?:scratch::scratch::scratch:

TIA

2. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    I was looking at planting a golden hop a couple of months ago

lovely, but needs a big space .... if you are looking at replacing another creeper with the hops, do it now ... thats my opinion ...from what I have read, they are pretty hardy

• Like Like x 1
    • daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,881
      If the Hop is pot grown it can be planted at any time of year as long as the ground isn`t frozen or waterlogged. The questions I would be asking myself though, would be. Why is the Clematis dying back all the time? Could I be over watering it? Or is it really in the right place? Will the hop do well, in the same situation?:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
      • HarryS

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        Thanks for the advice Dim and Dai, :dbgrtmb:
        The clematis was a Nelly Moser which has a recommended aspect of N, E or W. I'll put it in a west facing spot next year. When I plant the Golden Hop I will completely clear the soil from the planting hole by the side of the house. I have had problems with clematis for 3 years in this spot - no problems in the rest of the garden. The Virginia creeper 4 yards along the wall is doing great. I think that this spot is cursed ground !! :love30:

• daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,881

Harry, I think the problem is the Virginia Creeper. It is much more vigourous than C. Nelly Moser. I believe even the hop may struggle against it as it is an established plant/root system.:thumbsup:

• HarryS

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        I'll keep an eye out for any invasive roots Dai , when I am redigging the planting hole :thumbsup:

• HarryS

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        Well 7 months later .............. I planted a Golden Hop Tassels next to the house wall to grow up a trellis . I mulched it over winter and cut it down to the ground when it had died back. When should a Golden Hop show signs of life ? It is in a part shaded spot so it may be a little later than normal . Does anyone know ?

TIA