Dismiss Notice
MONTHLY PHOTO COMPS ARE BACK!

Get your camera out, take the best shots of your life and submit them to the photo competition!

Please Click Here!

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Redwing, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +41,623
    Quite a difference in price with Parcelmonkey gks. How are parcels rated with couriers please? Is it by size or weight?

2. gks

gks Gardener

Production Manager
    Ratings:
    +590
    Yes, they have a weight limit, a volumetric size limit and a length limit. So, if your parcel is classed as small, lets just say 10kg, then the volumetric size will be less and so will be the length limit. With FedEx, I am on the large parcel, this has a 25kg limit, volumetric limit of 3m which is worked out by length and girth combined with a maximum length of 2.5m. Then there is the service, timed delivery, Saturday am delivery, next day, 48hr, economy (72hr) and economy (5 days). Timed delivery and a Saturday am delivery are very expensive with the 5 day economy being the cheapest.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +41,623
      It seems a complicated way of working out the cost but I expect the couriers are at an advantage doing it that way.

• Chae U

Chae U Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +6
      Half of my order from roots plants arrived on Friday, a selection of 6 hostas. Lovely plants, well packed and good value, so despite the wait, I'm giving them a cautious "thumbs up".

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,382
        Well, I think Plants Galore are definitely off my list of good sellers before me even receiving a single order from them! They seemed to have a great selection of hebes which are a genus I'm becoming increasingly fond of. Ordered 2 which are said to be particularly successful with butterflies on February 19th, still haven't received them now in May. They emailed me on March 16th saying there would be a 4 week delay and did I want some alternatives, I said no, I wanted my original choices. Called them just now and they said the plants wouldn't be ready until August! :wallbanging: Utterly ridiculous!

Nick

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          Last edited: May 25, 2021