1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Good petrol tools (specifically brush cutter and rotovator)

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by clueless1, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    We use a Stihl brushcutter & chainsaws most of the time, but I also have a Ryobie brush-cutter as well & have not had any problems with it. Starts fine every time, hot or cold.. I also have a small challenge strimmer for the tiny places... :WINK1: :D
    The Rotavator we have up at the farm is an old 1960s one & I think it says something like Atco on it.. It is a wonderful machine, heavy as hell, but brilliant..! :D My mate has a newish one it is a honda T220 & he swears by it.. :sunny:

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    I have a Honda brushcutter (four stroke) and 2 Honda rotavators and also swear by them, unlike everything I previously used that eventually got hard to start, conked out, broke and got chucked and were a false economy.

I still have an Abu 505 reel bought 40+ years ago in perfect working order, and only treated myself to a new Abu a couple of years ago.

• Like Like x 1
    • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      on a side note, I still have my vintage Abu ambassador 7000 reel that I bought from a pawnshop 20 years ago for dirt cheap .... best reel I have ever owned (but saying that, I have not fished for a while) .... bought a few shimano but still prefer the Abu

as far as gardening equipment, I prefer stihl, but have not used any other make

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      I considered a Stihl when buying a chainsaw, but opted for for a Jonsered.

P.S. Only got one item of Shimano tackle, their 14'/4.25m seven piece beachcaster (as I bought a Diawa Wilderness rather than a Shimano XTC for my other essential travel rod). Perhaps we should have a tackle thread in 'Hook, Line & Sinker', where we can also discuss petrol powered winches used for kite fishing, etc. ?

• Scouse Lee

Scouse Lee Apprentice Gardener

Tree Surgeon
      Ratings:
      +9
      I very rarely use anything other than Stihl, chainsaws/blowers/hedge cutter/brushcutters although I also own a Husqvarna saw & mower which are also brilliant. I've now got an Echo brushcutter as I blew my Stihl one up,(2nd one in 5 years lol), gotta say that although the Echo is very powerful I haven't quite got use to it yet, seems a bit unbalanced after using Stihl for 8 years or so. Personally I wouldn't recommend anything other than Stihl or Husky,(although Echo brushcutters are in the running), but as a self employed Tree Surgeon I tend to be a bit fussy about my gear, I'd probably look for something cheaper if it was just for home use,(stay away from Zomax though, nightmare).

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,595
      The name Stihl comes up a lot, but I get the impression that's a top brand for very regular professional use (and probably expensive).

Honda, hmm, I know they make decent motorbikes and cars, never thought about them for gardening tools. I'll look into that.

A few other names in here to look out for too.

I'm kind of leaning towards Ryobi, because they seem cheap, but with a good rep, and my dad's Ryobi chainsaw has served us very well for years and just keeps going (ok, I sometimes have to adjust the chain or clean the air filter, but we can't expect tools to look after themselves entirely).

Marley Farleyed the bit about the 1960's rotovator:) My dad has an ancient heavy beast machine too. The engine has just about had it, but when it runs it does a great job. I discussed with my dad the idea of going halves on a new rotorvator. He surprised me with his reaction. He wants to keep his ancient thing, and he wants to restore it. Makes sense really, it is a good machine, mechanically sound but with engine trouble. I've had a look at it and had much of it apart and made some improvement, but when exhausted gases come out of the carb on a 4 stroke engine, the most likely cause, given its age, is that its valves are not closing properly, and that's usually a job for someone with skills beyond me.

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      expensive when new, but good value on ebay when they are 2nd hand and purchased during winter .... and it does not cost much to service ...

shop wisely, and buy one that is advertised as 'in good working order' ... use it till it needs servicing, then spend a few pounds to have it serviced and you will have a bargain

• Like Like x 1
      • ixithepatriot

ixithepatriot Apprentice Gardener

Gardener
        Ratings:
        +9
        i purchased a draper 32cc brush cutter earlier this year and also comes with the tap and go line head aswell its been perfect for the jobs ive used it on paid £160 new

• Like Like x 1