1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Green masonry paint

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Madahhlia, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,089
    [​IMG]
    I have a fancy to paint my shed green- perhaps not quite as green as this but green, neverthe less. I have been to Wickes and B&Q today but all their masonry paint is pale and neutral. Hardly any proper colours. The surface is cement board that has already been painted. Does anyone know where I could find a reasonably priced lightish green paint? I was wondering whether to use a garden shades type of paint as there are lots of greens in those ranges but they are really intended for wood and may not give proper coverage.

Or should I just go for a steel grey? I'm going for black fences so this might look good, although it sounds boring.

2. DIY-Dave

DIY-Dave Gardener

Ratings:
    +772
    If the cement board has already been painted, then it is safe to assume that an undercoat was used (or should have been used) to allow the paint that is on there to properly adhere to the cement board.
    You can pretty much use any PVA based exterior wall paint.
    Many stores that sell paint will be able to mix up a batch for you to what ever colour you like.
    Just make sure you ask them for the colour code so you can order again at a later date.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,089
      Not safe to assume anything where my DIY habits are concerned! I painted it several years ago, pretty sure I didn't undercoat but it's stayed on OK. I'm just bored with the colour.

Are the acrylic ones labelled as extra hard-wearing based on PVA? I've often used those indoors, I sometimes find them harder to apply as they seem a bit "dry" as they go on.

• DIY-Dave

DIY-Dave Gardener

Ratings:
      +772
      Depending on the manufacturer, acrylic or pva based paints can actually contain varying percentages of acrylic, pva, vinyl and latex (plus bonding agents and good old water).
      A "pure" acrylic based paint is much more expensive than say a "mixed" one and may be an overkill for certain applications.

Yes, some formulations of paint will tend to be more "dry" than others but can be mixed with a bit of water (follow manufacturers instructions) to make them easier to apply.

It comes down to what you are prepared to spend but which ever one you finally decide on, always go for a known brand of paint as these days there are many "cheaper" ones that are no good and you will be lucky if they last one season.

As regards the undercoat, if you didn't use one before painting the cement board, then consider yourself very lucky that it's lasted so long and hasn't started flaking and peeling off.

• Useful Useful x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,610
        Try a builders merchants Madahhlia, they quite often come up cheaper too.

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,089
        Will do. The problem seems to be getting a stronger colour as most of the Sheds' ranges are neutrals.

• Like Like x 1
        • DIY-Dave

DIY-Dave Gardener

Ratings:
          +772
          You could always get white paint and add a colour tint.
          Be warned though, depending on the saturation and colour, the tints (and paints) chemical makeup and surface area to be covered, it can be prone to "wash-out", where the colour starts to fade and not even uniformly so it will look really bad.
          This is especially true when exposed to lots of constant moisture.

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,089
          I know brightly coloured masonry paint is available - I've seen it on buildings.[​IMG]
          I just don't understand where people buy it because B&Q just stocks shades of white, beige and cream!

• Like Like x 1
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,610
            My neighbour next door-but-one painted his bungalow Aquamarine the year before last, it's horrendous! So yes, they are available and they can mix the colours for you too.

• DIY-Dave

DIY-Dave Gardener

Ratings:
            +772
            Wow, that looks a bit like Lego Land. :)

I always use Dulux (and some others which make paints with a very high UV resistance due to our very harsh sun).
            You will definitely be able to get Dulux in your part of the world and they have a huge range of paints and colours.

• JazzSi

JazzSi Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,239
            My cousin was a self employed painter & decorator, he would only ever use Santex masonry paint, they do plenty of colours you just get it mixed to order.

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +3,089
            Ask him where he got it!

Yes, the trouble with strong colours is that there's a fine line between look fabulous and looking horrible. I think the colours in the village above look great partly because the whole theme is bright and the colours have a roughly equal 'weight'. I've seen several examples of a single house painted green (oh dear) in an estate or village of stone or rough-cast houses, it did not work. It was a particularly harsh, acid, grating, saturated limey green, though! I'll be wanting a soft, fresh, spring-like green.

Aquamarine often works in seaside setting, but probably best to lighten the colour up by a few tones, it still makes a good statement but is much easier to live with.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,610
            I'll see what I can find out for you Madahhlia. My immediate neighbours who live next door to this 'colour' were horrified when they saw it and put up a high fence to help break it up a bit. I'll see if I can get a sneaky picture as well.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,089
              Ta, Sheal. Hope the neighbour doesn't read GC, imagine how horrified you'd be to see your own house featured on a 'Dodgy neighbours' thread. :roflol:
              For example, that dreadful woman over the road with the black fence (as of yesterday) and the acid green shed.

• Funny Funny x 1
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,610
                Well I'm risking it! :biggrin: The car is my immediate neighbours and beyond, the garage wall next-door-but-one. The paint has faded somewhat over the last couple of years making it more spearmint coloured, it was deeper and harsher when first done. Having said that my own needs a re-paint this year and is looking rather scruffy at mo, the colour will be more subtle though! :)

IMG_3004.JPG

IMG_3008.JPG