1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Greenhouse focus group

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Emery339, May 25, 2021.

1. Emery339

Emery339 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently studying for my A-levels in Product Design and I am trying to encourage people to go outside and grow their own food. I have been tasked by my client to create a greenhouse but I need to conduct a focus group in order to gain further knowledge from people who enjoy gardening and who own greenhouses.

If anyone could take 5 minutes to answer these questions below to help me out, I would really appreciate it.

1)On an average day how long do you spend in your greenhouse?
    2)What type of greenhouse do you own? (photos would be helpful but not necessary)
    3)What is your greenhouse made from?
    4)What features do you find useful in your greenhouse?
    5)What tools and equipment do you use? (including chemicals)
    6)How do you store tools and equipment for your greenhouse?
    7)Are there any problems that you frequently face in your greenhouse?
    8)Do you find that there is a lot of water wastage? (If not, please specify how there is minimal waste)
    9)Do you use an external place to dispose of garden waste or is this done within the greenhouse?

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,592
    Admin note - this survey has been approved by the Admin team. I am sure that you will all give a warm welcome to @Emery339 and participate in this survey.

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,152

15 mins

2)What type of greenhouse do you own? (photos would be helpful but not necessary)

Simplicity 12x8ft (also have a smaller Crittall 8x8 and a Crittall 'Goodlife' 8X6)

WP_20180325_18_16_37_Pro.jpg

Aluminium

Auto opening vents. Double sliding doors.

In the greenhouse I use a spade, trowel and not much else. No chemicals.

I just leave them outside.

Getting too hot in summer. Late frosts in spring.

8)Do you find that there is a lot of water wastage? (If not, please specify how there is minimal waste)

I don't waste any, I use soaker hoses on a timer plus watering cans as needed.

9)Do you use an external place to dispose of garden waste or is this done within the greenhouse?

All my garden waste goes on my compost heap, which is outside about 20 m away from the greenhouse.

• Like Like x 2
        Last edited: May 28, 2021
      • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
        Ratings:
        +30,611

Between November and March, none as it is far too cold over here to economically heat them. Between April and last frost, quite a bit of time in the one that is heated (using a natural gas heater fed from the mains) setting up the watering and moving the seedlings into it -from my indoor area

Three Palram greenhouses. 1 which is 6' wide by 8' deep and 2 that are 6' wide by 4' deep.
        2014-09-07 13.51.58.jpg 2014-09-07 13.52.11.jpg

Aluminum and polycarbonate - clear - two were originally twin wall but purely for cosmetics I switched them to clear.

Automatic vent openers, louvers at the sides to draw fresh cooler air on hot days. The ability to hang things and the door is a swing door. Not a slide type door. Clear panels so I don't have to open the door to see that all is well.

Each greenhouse is solar powered. Each has an overhead DC fan on a timer. Each has server fans to continuously stir the air. Each has low flow irrigation.

They are in the greenhouses or on shelving in my cellar.

No.

Very little water is wasted as I have set up a capillary watering system for all of the plants down near floor level and these receptacles are fed by either low flow irrigation lines or when available, rain water from the rain barrel and pumped by solar water pumps to the receptacles. This is a picture from this morning showing I simply used wallpaper trays as receptacles.
        [​IMG]

I always send out waste to the regional recycle/compost facility. No space for composting here.

And one very important question is WHY have a greenhouse? Aside from being a season extender, they are usually a delight to look at almost a landscape feature!

Hope you do well with the A levels, whatever that is.. :)

• Like Like x 2
          Last edited: May 27, 2021
        • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +21,327
          Depends on the season winter 15 minutes once a week to see how things are doing.
          Spring 3 or 4 hours a week
          Summer can be an hour or so a day with watering and harvesting.
          All dependent on what needs doing, what the weather is doing. Also bear in mind many people like me only really get out in the garden, to do more than the mecessary, at weekends
          12ft812ft Rhino
          Aluminium
          Automatic openers on vents, double doors, louvre windows at low level
          Trowel, knife, watering cans, bucket
          I don't they go in the shed
          Temperature regulation
          No; water only when necessary, use capillary matting and trays
          All garden waste from greenhouse goes to compost heap.

• Like Like x 2
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,203
            5mins in Winter
            1 hour + in Summer

Elite Lean To 8x6ft

Aluminium

Top Auto vents and Bottom Louver Auto vent

Plant Snips and Secateurs
            General organic Fertilizers
            Some chemical Bug Killers for ornamental plants

In the greenhouse, but locked when out.

Aphids and similar bugs

No, hand watering only.

Previously own compost bins, but now paid for Brown Bin collection

• Informative Informative x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,686
              All the best with your project.
              15 - 30 minutes
              Palram
              Polycarbonate and aluminium
              Auto vent
              Trowel, hand fork, dibber, secateurs, watering can, buckets.
              Box under potting bench, hooks on side of potting bench, shelving
              Not enough space for plants, too hot in sunlight, wildly fluctuating temperatures (Scotland), causing inconsistencies in temperature.
              No, I collect water into a water butt from the guttering on the greenhouse and then use it in a watering can in the greenhouse.
              Garden waste disposed of into council green bin.

• Like Like x 2
              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,478
                Between half an hour and three hours a day

Alton - 55 years old
                P1100490.JPG

Rotting Cedar - think it's out of guarantee :heehee:

Home built heated propagator, top and bottom vents, staging/work bench

Small hand tools - trowel, secateurs, plant nippers, scissors, knife, small dibber, watering can. Only chemical used is Growmore. We haven't used chemicals in the garden for almost 50 years

Apart from the watering can they are stood in a small ceramic flowerpot on the potting bench

Never enough room!

Yes - but depends on your definition of 'a lot'. Apart from seedlings everything is watered with a hose

We have an enormous amount of 'waste?' and use compost heaps (5 of them at approx. 6' x 5' x however high they get but starting at 5' and rotting down. 2 large wheelie bins per week for noxious weeds and suchlike - all taken free of charge by the council, a regular large bonfire for anything not suitable for the previous two options - the ash is used on the garden.

• Like Like x 4
                • hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
                  +707
                  I hope we will be able to help with your project.
                  1) On average day how long do you spend in your greenhouse.
                  Between 1/2 an hour and 5 hours. Much longer in the late Autumn and early Spring than at other times.
                  2) What type of Greenhouse do you own.
                  Rhino 20ftx8ft
                  3) What is your greenhouse made from.
                  Aluminium with safety glass for WHEN I fall over in it, quote from my Daughter:)
                  4)What features do you find useful in your greenhouse.
                  Excellent headroom so you do not feel cramped when working in it and unlike a previous greenhouse I have not put a digging fork through the roof. Double sliding doors so easy to get a wheelbarrow into and out of it. Automatic window openers, easy to access and operate louvred vents and shelving. Would love to have electricity to my greenhouse but it is sited a long way from my house so a very large and expensive undertaking to get a supply to it unfortunately.
                  5) What tools and equipment do you use
                  In the greenhouse, digging fork as I have soil beds either side of a middle pathway, trowel, hand fork, various secateurs, hand sweeping brush, canes, knife, watering cans plus an integrated integrated hose. Flowerpots of all shapes and sizes.
                  6) How do you store tools and equipment for your greenhouse.
                  I hang the small items on S shaped hooks ( home made from coat-hanger wire) through holes in the Aluminum framework designed for hanging baskets?. All the rest get stored in a summerhouse next door to the greenhouse
                  7) Are there any problems you frequently face in your greenhouse
                  Needs to be 4 times the size as always full to bursting. Temperature going too low in early Spring or LATE spring this year:rolleyespink: with not having heating in the greenhouse. Did try a paraffin heater for a while as no electricity supply but it was not that successful and a bit of a chore.
                  8) Do you find there is a lot of water wastage.
                  Not really. I have 2 large water butts plus a very big old cold water tank that are filled from run off rainwater from the roof of the greenhouse via guttering and down pipes. I tend to use watering cans rather than the hose until lately in the season when the demand for water is high. I do not use grow bags but plant most salad vegetables into soil beds which retain water much better than the grow bags or pots.
                  9)Do you use an external place to dispose of garden waste or is this done within the greenhouse.
                  No garden waste is kept in the greenhouse. The majority of waste is put on huge compost heaps and left to get on with it. Anything which is not suitable to go onto the heaps is burnt on the bonfire. Probably not very environmentally friendly but the alternative would be lots of weedkillers which I believe is much worse a “ crime”. The ash from the bonfire is used as a substitute for Lime on some of the vegetable beds so not wasted.I live in the countryside and do not get a council bin collection of garden waste service.

• Like Like x 2