Greenhouse glass problem

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Andrew Kennedy, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Andrew Kennedy

Andrew Kennedy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Hall Lean-to greenhouse on a West facing wall. The high winds have lifted the automatic window device letting the winds enter the greenhouse and blowing out 4 panes of glass!! Hall's Customer Information tells me to lock down the window at times there are likely to be high winds......not good advice for me - we spend Winter on holiday away from the house (no neighbours) and there needs to be ventilation to keep the geraniums free from mould. Surely someone has had similar problems regarding automatic windows. Any advice gratefully accepted!!!!!!

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +20,945
    3 or 4 louvres with automatic openers if you are in a cold part of the country.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,184
      I used to have the same problem , but in locking it down you must also remove the expanding cartridge otherwise they will become damaged on a sunny day.

Possibly fit some chains the either side of the window so they can only open as much as the auto opener would do.

You could also add some more weight to the window, so its not as easy for the wind to lift, the power of the cartridge is quiet a lot stronger than you think.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,316
      I'd be weary of putting more strain on the opener than the suggested weight for specific opener.
      Not sure what make of opener you are using, but Bayliss ones come with pretty strong springs to close, which the opener is obviously pushing against.

I think if you intend leaving a greenhouse unattended for long periods you are really pushing your luck whatever you do.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • PaulB3

PaulB3 Gardener

Professional Gardener
        Ratings:
        +323
        Andrew , one question springs to mind here ......you say you're away for most of the Winter ?
        Can't the person who presumably waters your Geraniums throughout this period monitor your g/house for you ?

• mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
        +3,718
        @Andrew Kennedy
        My autovent window has been blown out of it's hinge ,with the weather being as it is I can't see the point in unscrewing the autovent and putting it back in at the moment, so for the time being I hooked a small bungee cord to the top of the roof and the bottom of the window frame not only has it held it, it's allowed the window to open to my surprise, so maybe 2 or 3 small bungee cords may do the trick.

• BellaBlue

BellaBlue Gardener

Ratings:
        +455
        • Creative Creative x 1
        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +30,477
          I'm confused. If you are gone for long stretches, where is the water coming from if no one is there irrigating?

Perhals auto watering is not synched well?